Your Bass...and Your Vehicle......

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ZenG, Jan 24, 2014.

1. ZenG

ZenG

Does your vehicle that you drive reflect your personality in the type of bass you play or own?

For instance if you drive a 3/4 ton 4x4 do you only play P-basses?

Or if you drive a Mazda Miata ...do you only play a Hofner?

2. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

No really, but I once bought a car because I could fold down the back seat and slide the
    8x10 cab in the back, a bass slid on top, and the SVT head in the passenger seat.

I drove to gigs alone.

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Had the Precision V before I had the Subaru Outback. But I also have the Big Al now so, who knows.

Love all of 'em though.

4. vmabus

vmabus Supporting Member

Only Volvo estates for the last 30 years, to accommodate a string bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Not sure what it may reflect, but for many many years I drove a very fast big block Corvette. Wait a minute, maybe that does reflect something. Big motor, big horsepower with a deep rumble! There you go. :cool:

7. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

I started taking more basses to gigs and bought bigger cabs after I purchased my Subaru Outback. It's amazing how much gear that car holds. Too bad it's so dorky-looking.

8. pfox14

pfox14

I drive a Ferrari, but because it was so expensive all I could afford was a Squier.

9. Landy67

Landy67 Gold Supporting Member

I like simple utility...
    [​IMG]
    ... In Blue!

10. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Agreed.

11. boombloom

boombloom Supporting Member

I take my upright bass with me when I shop for cars. This sort of thread appears regularly over on the upright bass boards.

12. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

Vehical criteria : Will an 8 10 fit?:bassist:
    As to the original question
    Rig...Ampeg SVT Classic
    Car...63 Pontiac LeMans with a 400 c.i. motor
    Can you say overkill boys and girls? I knew you could.

13. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

Well. I drive a '73 Beetle and play an ESP. The only connection I can see is that I'm trying to stand out. But if I was to get another bass it would probably have classic styling and a natural finish. So now I'm just being old school.

14. TheOxRocks

TheOxRocks

I play Carvins, just got a new Carvin stack, and have a Nissan Rogue incoming to carry it all to gigs. Unlike my current car (Nissan Versa), I might also have room for passengers.

15. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    My 02 Camry is a great car and it fits my gear nicely. It's reliable as hell and cheap to maintain. I absolutely love the car, though if it were a wagon, that would be the best.

If I had to make a true comparison, the Camry is kind of like an MIJ Fender J bass... Japanese, not terribly exciting, but great for every day use and they both get great mileage.

My bass choices don't really reflect the car a lot. The Status, well, it's reliable and I love it, but I think it matches more to a Lotus or something English with carbon fiber.
    The Stingrays I have are certainly more suited to a more muscular American made car or truck.

16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Only owned one car in my life, it's always been trucks for me. I drove trucks because I was always hauling old motorcycle parts around and it was just easier with a pickup. There was also my great grandpa's advice about a man should always be prepared to haul a hundred pounds of loose chicken guano if necessary. When I started playing out I just slapped a cheap camper shell on and kept on truckin.

Since they've been available with a third door, I've had extended cab trucks and even a crew cab. I had to adjust my gear to reflect this change so I went from a 215 to a 410 and these days I've got a couple 112 cabs. Fit neatly behind the seat along with my head and bass.

17. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

GMC Safari, AWD. I can haul the band and our all gear should it be needed. Through a lot of snow too. Basses are Spector and G&L.

18. PWRL

PWRL

I use various Fenders and a Warwick with an SLM-era Ampeg 810 (pre-Speakon).Used to drive an 05 Chevy Malibu Maxx, now have an 06 Honda CR-V SE but thinking of going with a low-mileage 05 Chevy Avalanche.
    My only requirement where and when my vehicles and gear cross paths is that the gear fit in the vehicle. Beyond that, there is little correlation.

19. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

toyota work trucks and g&l and fender basses

20. oboylebass

oboylebass

If I could get away with having a 40mpg Toyota Corolla I would (like my GF). So drive an SUV. I need the space. But it's paid for!!

21. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

the inline 4 tacoma is still kind of a hog on gas, in spite of its tiny size