1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Your best recorded tone and how you got it???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by father of fires, Dec 4, 2012.

1. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

With all the talk about the best amp/bass/cab/fuzz/etc. it got me wondering. What is the best recorded tone you ever got?

How did you get it?

Please include sound samples if you can.

My favorites are 1 mic band practice recordings from many years ago that I've never been able to replicate. I'll post mine when I can find them (they're on CD's in boxes in storage).

It was an American Jazz Bass -> MXR M80 pre->Crown Macrotech Power Amp->SWR Goliath II->****** sampler we used to record practices with.

2. Marial

Marial Three Weeks of Freedom Start Right NOW Gold Supporting Member

2008 Hwy One Jazz through an Avalon U5 DI. Volume knobs at 75%, tone knob rolled most of the way off. Unfortunately I don't recall the settings for the U5, but it was pure warm tone. I don't have an example because the record isn't finished yet. I plan on buying my own U5, though. Up until this session I'd been a 'mic my cab' die hard, but not anymore.

3. capncal

capncal

American Fender Standard P to Ampeg 210 combo amp, Direct into the board through a Reddi DI and mic'd the cab also.

https://www.facebook.com/TheTunesmiths

pretty sure there are sound clips from the record on there. Also, it was a 1971 API mixing console.

4. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Warwick Corvette (passive) fretless strung with broken in but freshly cleaned DR Hi-Beams, Sansamp BDDI for dirt tone only, Ashdown Mag 600 head cranked to the point of almost breakup through an Acoustic 210 Neo cab with the tweeter off. I'm actually not sure about the mics but I think we did a DI from the head and then used a Shure kick drum mic and an SM57 on the speakers. Then all the signals were blended, compressed and EQ'd in Pro Tools. We didn't do any crazy editing or doctoring in post production. The compression was pretty light and the EQ was just to get everything in the mix just right.

The first two songs on our bandcamp, Fragile and Clear, have the best examples of my dirt and clean tones. Clear has delay on it too which was provided by the "analog" emulation on my Line 6 Echo Park.

www.goodnightvenus.bandcamp.com

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that for the songs I referenced and most others I had the tone knob open all the way and both pickups on full. I played a fretted Tobias Growler 5 on five songs with the EQ set flat and the pickup balance set in the middle if anyone bothers to listen to the other songs.

7. freu

freu

Fender Classic 60's Jazz Bass, Tesla Pickups.
    M-Audio Fast Track, Magix Samplitude DAW, Amplitube vst
    Tube Preamp
    Ampeg b-15
    Tube Compressor
    Rack Compressor
    some EQ here and there

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  8. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    84 Ric 4001 through Trace Elliot AH500X.

Still to this day my favorite sound for recording.