Your Christmas day gear story

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassgod76, Nov 25, 2012.

1. bassgod76

bassgod76 Cort bassist by obligation Supporting Member

With the holidays upon us, I always see those Lexus ads with cars being given as gifts. Have any of you had such an experience with unwrapping some sick bass gear, or seeing a beautiful bass with a red bow on the headstock, under the tree? Please share!

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I've never received an amp, bass or anything else music related for Christmas. Mainly because my family knows that I won't buy anything unless I can try it first. However, about 8 years ago, my wife surprised me with a Sennhesier wireless for my birthday. This past Valentine's Day she insisted that we go to the music store so I could buy the new MIA Jazz Deluxe that I had been looking at.

Attached Files:

3. bassgod76

4. lydiajayne

lydiajayne

Very cool, kmonk! Sounds like you have a rad wife! Nothing bass but last Christmas I surprised my husband with the Line 6 M9 Stompbox he really wanted and he surprised me with a Privia keyboard. The funny part is that we both had our families in on it so they all knew before hand that we were surprising each other. It was a very fun day!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Sounds like you and your husband have a great relationship.

7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

yeah,... i got a story! a SAD story.

you see, as a small boy, i always loved the bass. maybe my first love ever. well, i was 10yrs old and begged my parents for a bass,.. any bass would have dome it for me. as Christmas drew near, my anxiety red-lined and i was a total nut case. i just knew it was coming, historically, Momma never let us down on that day!

wouldn't you know,... i see the beautiful black guitar case and ran to the tree. upon opening the case i noticed something very, very wrong.

a sunburst copy of a Stratocaster!!!:bawl:

8. bassgod76

Love it! Keep them coming!

9. bassgod76

I bought myself a working mans 10 and didnt opn it until it until the 25th. That's my lame christmas story

10. Renaissance

Renaissance

I think it was 1975 Santa brought me a Fender Bassman 10 combo for Christmas. I still have that amp!

11. bassgod76

I still have mine! Christmas 2000!

12. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    I got my first bass ever, a 1977 Jazz bass, and a Peavey TKO 60 (IIRC) on Christmas, 1980. Pretty epic turn in my life. Thanks Dad!

13. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Way back in 1987, my wife bought me a new Fender Jazz Bass Special, Candy Apple Red factory fretless. The amazing thing is, she bought it from the store I managed... Got a friend of mine who also wanted that bass and his wife in on the deception. I was off on a Friday (my birthday too) and when I came back in on Saturday morning that bass was gone, with a receipt to my friend's wife for the bass. The owner of the store told me I shouldn't say anything to Jim because his wife wanted to surprise him. Later that day Jim came in, saw the bass was gone, and was all dejected about.

How do you hide a Fender bass from a bass player who manages a guitar store? My wife had her brother pick up the bass from the store and keep it at his house. We went to her parents' house for Christmas Eve, and while we were there her brother took the bass to our house and hid it in the basement. The next morning I got a a CD copy of "Wheels of Fire" by Cream, a coffee mug, and a pair of sox. Then she and the boys gave me a riddle they'd written that lead me to the hidden bass in the basement.

Still have the bass, but TRHWUTLAMH, The Red Head Who (Used to) Live At My House, left about eight years ago...

John

14. Lady Kayri

Lady Kayri

Both my Dingers were combination birthday and Christmas presents from my dad, while I was saving up for them (1 at a time, not at the same time!) the Christmas/birthday money he gave me those years was specifically earmarked to finish paying off each bass.

15. bassgod76

16. bassbrad

bassbrad

I have only ever been given 2 musical things at Christmas.

When I was 8 my folks gave me this horrible plastic guitar that I played the frets off by my birthday in February where they gave me an almost as bad Korean imported acoustic, that held me thru summer when I had earned and saved enough for a Gibson LGO.

Later on I had a long gone ex-g-friend buy me a Pan Jazz bass that I turned into a fretless, that strangely I still have bits and pieces of most notable the neck is on my eub.

17. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

A couple of years ago, I checked out a Roscoe bass, and discovered it was THE bass for me. I spoke with my wife and financial advisor, and we decided to hold off for a while. That Christmas, on the tree, was an envelope with a picture of a Roscoe printed on it. Inside was a significant chunk of cash, and a note saying that the store still has it in stock, and it's on hold for me. Brought tears to my eyes!

18. bassgod76

nice!

19. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

The best Christmas present I ever got (though not actually on Christmas) was a 1975 Les Paul, given to me by Divinyls' guitarist, Mark McEntee. He'd loaned it to me for a couple of months, and I fell in love with it. When I went to give it back to him, he just said "No, you hang on to that one, Merry Christmas". Needless to say, it's my favourite guitar and I'm never selling it.