Your Column In This Months Bass Guitar Magazine

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by bassjamm, Jul 2, 2012.

1. bassjamm

bassjamm

Hey Janek,

I got this months Bass Guitar Magazine today and had a read through your column in it.

Just wondered if I could get your input a little please.

I've just been getting the phrase you refer to and have notated in the mag under my fingers. I'm trying to get that phrase to fit over your tune "To Begin" from "The Space In Between".

Can you, or someone else point me in the right direction as to what note I could start the phrase on to fit over your song. Assuming it will of course. I think it could start on a D?

You'll have to forgive me if I've totally missed this point here, or if I'm way off the mark. I'm only just getting back into my playing, my reading isn't all that good and my theory is rusty as, but I think I grasp what's going on.

Apologies for the odd question, I'm just trying to compute in my head and it's not working, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jamie
  2. Matej Jaraba

Matej Jaraba

I think it is Cm7,Gm7. the phrase is quite confusing. but not hard at all once you get it. I think better to learn it by spending some time and you will get his feel of that phrase rather from second hand situation.

I did transcribed bass part with melody it is nice maybe hard but nothing crazy. Go for it and spend some time with tune.

I am sure if Janek replies, he is going to tell you same. Not give you the chords, but positively encourage you transcribe by ear that what they advice most. it develops ears, time feel and much more ....

I took video bass lessons with him and he talks about transcribing. I took advice from him to do same, slowly but surely i see I am developing by ear.

I hope I helped you

good luck
  3. janekbass

janekbass

Disclosures:
    Founder and CEO of http://videobasslessons.tv
    I'm not sure which phrase you're referring to as the columns I write tend to be at least one or two months ahead of publishing time.

Either way though, if the phrase is set out over a specific set of changes it normally just takes a simple transposition to move the shape to the key you're playing in. Once you're playing the idea fluidly you'll be able to play it over any set of chords changes whether it "fits" theoretically or not. And with that fluidity in your playing (which comes from many hours of practice) you'll be able to move it around any harmony you like to create and release tension in your soloing.

Janek