Your favorite 4x10 with an SVT

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Mosfed, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

Hi guys

SO I was lucky enough to get my first SVT-CL a few weeks back and bought a used SLM made BSE-410HLF with it. The SVT was made by SLM in 2001.

I am not particularly pleased with the cab as I find it VERY muddy and undefined. There were times in our session yesterday when I kept turning it up because I just couldn't hear myself. My band mates were making the same comments. I started messing around with the EQ and just couldn't get it right.

So I am thinking about other either Ampeg (preferred) or not 4x10 cabs.

Before you say it - yes I know an 8x10 would be better or even a 6x10. But I just don't have the ability to lug it around as I don't have an appropriate car or people who could help me bring it around. I have used the head with a backline 8x10 and it was heaven.

My hope was that people have experience with the Heritage SVT 4x10 or the normal SVT 4x10 and that they can give me a sense of what they have found works best. What I really wish Ampeg made was a 4x10 sealed cab that is 4ohms with the right power rating. But they don't.

Thanks in advance
  2. jfantuzzo

jfantuzzo Supporting Member

Faced with a similar dilemma, I purchased the 410HLF only because the Mesa powerhouse 410 I was testing along side of it was an extra $200-$300. If you have the cash Mesa is your deal. If not - the Ampeg is excellent as well.

There was a significant clarity difference between the two with the Mesa being much clearer.

Why didn't I spend the extra cash? Are you married? That's why!
  3. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

Interested to see what others say. I'm in the same boat. I'm looking for an SVT410HLF to pair with my VR. I practice with a borrowed 410E, but it only goes down to 8 ohms so I'm using my PF500 with it. I'm not really a fan of it. I turned the horn all the way off but it still just doesn't do it for me.
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What is your budget for a cab?

If you have the scratch, I suggest a faital pro 15PF400 loaded greenboy Dually. Not only is it smaller/lighter than an 810, it will send one packing in terms of volume out put as well.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mosfed

Are either of the Mesa or the Faital cab sealed? I struggle a bit with the ported HLFs and think that may be the big difference that I hear with the sealed 8x10s (and yes I know that the extra 40 inches of drivers makes a pretty big difference as well).
  7. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    The Dually is not ported, *but* there is a lot more engineering in the driver/porting design than the 410HLF.
  8. Mosfed

Unfortunately it seems basically impossible to get one of those in the UK. I have asked the manufacturer directly but it doesn't seem promising.
  9. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka Supporting Member

i like the sound of my svt through a sealed cab more than the ported cab i had.

you need to play through different cabs and figure out what you like, always seems i never can tell for sure how i'll like something until i actually play with it with the band though.

also just an fyi, with my passive pbass i usually run the EQ with bass ~11oclock, mids ~3oclock (@800hz), treble ~1-2oclock
  10. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    The Dually? There are several builders of that cab, all of them would be willing to ship but that part isnt cheap. Since you are in the UK I would check out the Barefaced Super 15. You might be able to find one used.
  11. anderbass

anderbass

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Are you playing in drop tunings? Personally I find Ampeg cabinets lack definition in the lower registers, so if you find this one muddy you might find them all muddy. My personal favourite cabs are Epifani, but they are not cheap and probably not the sound you are after. I like MarkBass as well but their cabs are definitely not for everybody, they have a very distinct low mid bump in their voicing. Both the mentioned brands can handle the low B (and then some if your a low freq nut) with ease.

There are authorized builders for fEARful in the UK, there just has to be. The UK bass player mag has ads for speakers places that sell fEARful kits/parts so you can build them over there, I do not know at what cost though.
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

14. wighat

wighat

I use a SVT-CL into a SVT-410-HLF. I think this is absolutely the best combo of Ampeg amp and cabinet. This cabinet has a lot of low end, too much for some. It does not have much crunchy mid range. It does have a nearly inconsequential tweeter. This suits me perfectly. I do not care for a "full range" sound from my bass cabinet. This cab is low, big, round and lush.
  15. mouthmw

mouthmw Supporting Member

And probably the worst cab I've played through. Just to see how one man's gold is another man's.. something. Anyways, you're right, no midrange and all low end mud. Not really a cab I'd recommend the OP based on his needs.
    Perhaps a GK NEO 212? I find those GK NEO cabs pair extremely well with just about any amp. I pound my neo 412 with an Ashdown 900 and it just slays! Darker, warmer, vintage sounding amp through those modern cabs is kickass! Best combo I've ever played (and I owned an ampeg 810 for years before it).
  16. lowend1

lowend1

I don't like the HLFs at all. The SVT sound (if that's what you're after) is a sealed cab with 10s. How about the SVT410 HE? You could just turn the tweet off. Fliptops can build you something, but they ain't cheap. If you have some time, try and find an Ampeg B40 from the 1970s. Not internally divided, but with the right speakers, could be just the ticket. Finally, have you considered getting a pair of 210AVs? Word is that they are pretty close, soundwise. Reasonably priced, and easier to move than a single 4x10 as well.
  17. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

What did you have your EQ set at? I might suggest cutting the bass, crank the mids and set treble to taste. Turn off any ultra low/hi switches. You can dial back the bass a good bit with these cabs and still get good low-end due their low tuning. If you've tried all this already maybe a 410 he or 2 of the new 2x12s.
  18. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

The SVT 410HE cabinets are 8 ohm. He'll need two for an SVT.
  19. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    I think there are lots of guys running 8ohm cabs with SVTs but I was just going to say they are rated for 4ohms or 2ohms.
  20. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

Any opinions on an Avatar 410 for an SVT?
  21. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Avatar only has one cab that I would be interested in using, it ain't their 410...