Your favorite dark beer?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Dec 19, 2012.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
    With Winter on the way, what dark beers will you be going for this season? I'm open to some suggestions, German darks preferably for my days off next week. I obviously enjoy Guinness, though i dont go for porters. For the German darks, I like Schwelmer and Erdinger. Thanks in advance! :)
  2. Ripper

Ripper

Bell's Expedition Stout is a good one, but very heavy. Atwater Vanilla Java Porter is another good one. Founder's Dirty B*****d isn't really a stout (scotch ale) but it is almost dark enough.

One of the most "warming" beers I've had is New Holland Dragon's Milk. Tastes like whiskey mixed with chocolate, with a hint of hop. And its 20 proof.
  3. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger. Supporting Member

There's a craft brewer in Decorah, IA called Toppling Goliath. I went in to get my dad a gift certificate and had to try a pint. They had one on tap called TG Brown Sugar and it was really good. Not the darkest but dang, too good to pass up. I left with a growler of the stuff. I normally get Rover Truck or Rush Hallow Maple Ale. Now I'm stoked to try the rest. That gift card is going to go a long way. They have a great selection and he's always looking for a new beer to try

Picking a more available brew, I'd go with Guinness on tap or Leinenkugels Creamy Dark. I'm not a beer snob so I'll drink anything you put in front of me (short of some IPAs, I can't think of a brew I've hated). Right now it's a Samuel Adams Winter Lager. It's pretty good but not the best I've ever had.

If you have a Granite City in your area, you may find their beer to be good. I can't think of names but the dark selection is reliable.
  4. spellcaster

spellcaster

I know your not into the porters but a few of my favorites are... just in case you wanta give them a try.

Founders Porter, Black Butte Porter, Fade To Black Pepper Porter
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LarryO

LarryO

7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

When I lived in Germany, my all-time favorite was a beer from Koestritzer. I've never seen it in the US, but Erdinger comes pretty close. Guinness is good on tap but not bottled. I haven't found a local microbrew stout that I really like and that's regularly available around here in NH; when I lived in Indiana I'd definitely go for Bell's.
  8. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

9. Handyman

Handyman

10. mkandolf

mkandolf

I'm getting low on my Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter. Time to brew another batch.
  11. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I quit drinking over 25 years ago but sometimes a nice beer is good.

I'll have a O'douls amber now and then.

It's been so long that I forgot what real beer tastes like so it goes down good.
  12. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

I don't really have a favorite. It depends what I'm looking for. The answer won't be the same if I want a stout with a strong coffee taste, if I want a black IPA or if I'm after any particular characteristic.
  13. vlado

vlado

14. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum) Gold Supporting Member

Guinness Stout with a shot of Jameson
  15. Marial

Marial Proud Papa Supporting Member

Young's Double Chocolate Stout. A pint of heaven.
  16. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Gold Supporting Member

Stone Imperial Stout. Stone's smoked porter with Chipotle and the porter with vanilla were deeeeeeeliciousssssss!
  17. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star Supporting Member

I really like Skullsplitter Ale. Arrogant Bastard Ale is great too, but it's more like food than drink.

Both are dark as a blackout.
  18. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Big Sky Brewery's Moose Drool is my favorite dark beer. I think it's only available in the Pacific Northwest.
  19. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

^^^ This is a good one! They had it on tap at a bar we used to play. One break the bartender says "What'll you have?" I said, "I don't care, just give me a beer, your choice." He filled a tall glass full of Dragons Milk.

I though he was being nice. Until the third set.........

Brooklyn Brewery makes a Black Chocolate Stout that's the bomb too.
  20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
    I forgot who makes it, imported if I recall correctly, but I had a dark wheat beer that was delicious one time.
  21. jebmd

jebmd Supporting Member

Spaten Optimater