Your favorite head to use with Bag End cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by larryelwood, Dec 22, 2012.

1. larryelwood

larryelwood Supporting Member

Hi all,

I just acquired a very well cared for bag end s15x d and an s15d stack from CL here in Denver. I'm very psyched about these cabs. Together they sound warm, present and defined with my carvin B1500. I do have some concern about running the pair at 1200 watts with the carvin though. Thinking about getting a better matched head for them. I have my eye on the gk MB800. Can anyone chime in and offer any experience or suggestions on what you've used and liked or disliked with these awesome cabs? On another note, not having encountered bag end gear before, very struck by the build quality. reminiscent of 60s high quality hi fi gear. Thanks - LLE

2. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    GK is a great match with BE. I've had no issues using high powered heads including a 2001RB with my S15D stack, so if you like the Carvin, I wouldn't worry about the power.

3. larryelwood

larryelwood Supporting Member

Cool, thanks a lot. I do like the carvin, however I think I'll give the GK a try with them. I think that little amp has more " teeth" on the top end and might really make those cabs snarl a bit more.

4. chetmz

chetmz

I have had an S15 and S12 stack for a few years now and used it with great success with an Ampeg PF500, Eden WT300, Eden WT400 and now a Streamliner 600.

If you do a search on "Bag End Stack" you will see folks have been real happy with a broad range of heads with these and used them playing all kinds of styles. If you want that big low end they are not the right cab but for a focused, tight sound that won't "spill all over the place" and can be heard with reasonably clarity by you and the audience. They are great.

Good luck and Happy Holidays.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I've got an S15D/XD stack as well. GK is my favorite, I play an 800RB or MB500 with mine.

7. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    I love this combo

[​IMG]

I used a pair of the big 15's (same driver) and powered them with a big ol' Crest amp bridged and they just soaked it up. These are built exactly as they were in the 70's when they were introduced. Other than speak-ons this it baby!

8. babebambi

babebambi

I was gonna suggest something to that effect
    That's a tasty rig.

9. Alper Yilmaz

Alper Yilmaz Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Erkan Sizarlar Custom Basses
    I used to drive the Bag End stack with either an Epifani UL-502 or an Acoustic Image Focus! Both sounded great, Acoustic Image a bit tighter and better defined in the mid-range...

Best,

Alper

10. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

Clarus sounds good w/Bags.