1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Your favorite jazz bass and why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassistForJesus, Aug 30, 2013.

1. BassistForJesus

BassistForJesus Supporting Member

Collectively your responses will get me closer to purchasing a super nice jazz bass. I am looking for comparisons, tonal flexibility, customer service, etc.
  2. pedroims

pedroims Supporting Member

I really like Lakland Dj with a J retro, I used to own a Sadowsky PJ with the VTC control that was great as well. Both companies have excellent customer service.
  3. DannyBob

DannyBob

Personally, a MIM Standard jazz bass does it for me, as I can't hear anything different between this and an American Standard jazz bass that would make me want to pay the extra money. Oh, and with the money saved I'd buy some EMG JHZ pickups and a badass II bridge, because one of these with the extras in my opinion sounds and plays better than any other jazz bass :). Oh, and Fender is Fender, so if anything goes wrong or you need help with anything, pretty much any shop can help you out.
  4. Wallace320

Wallace320

+1

Cheers,
    Wallace
  5. bmc

bmc

Having owned a number of Fender jazz basses over the years, my favorite is my Sadowsky. As Roger frequently says, it's a working musicians instrument. I live the new Fenders. They're impressive. My old 66 was a sweetheart. The three MIJ's I have had over the years are impressive. But, the Sadowsky is such a cut above. I have had it for six years and have not had gas since. I can always find my tone. My exact in my head tone everytime. Fit and finish is impeccable. Pride of ownership is big.
  6. Jbassrockboy

Jbassrockboy

Fender Mia 2012...

It's really well balanced...

Great neck, not too heavy and a great jazz bass tone...

Rossa
  7. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

The 1961 Jazz Bass that Flea used to record Stadium Arcadium.
    The tone is just UUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHH.
  8. garp

garp

+2. I own MIAs and CIJs, but my MIMs get the most playing time.
  9. n1as

n1as Supporting Member

I'm bought a Carvin SB5000. Liked it but it was heavy. Gave it to my son and ordered a lighter one for me. Really love the bass. The fretwork is just fine (no sharp edges). Neck width and string spacing are to my liking. Overall tone is very Fender like but with a bit more "oomph". Some say they are bright but I find it to not be so. It is clear and full. Fit and finish is top-notch. Fender MIM quality at a lower price.

If I didn't buy the Carvin, I'd have bought a Standard MIA Jazz, or maybe another Warmoth.

I had a couple of MIM Jazz basses in the past. THey were good, but not great. There was a significant dead spot (7th fret, G string) and the B note (A string 2nd fret) was hot. Frets were rough on the edges. Stock pickups sounded lame. Mine had Bartolini and DiMarzio pickups. After owning 2 MIM Jazz bass, I would not spend my money on another MIM again.

Others, of course, are free to have different experiences and spend their money differently.

- Keith -
  10. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

My faves are a Carvin SB5000 and a Sadowsky Metro MV5.
  11. Fit4pain

Fit4pain Supporting Member

MIJ Fender Aerodyne, light, versatile and looks ad good as it plays.
  12. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

My Lakland Joe Osborn 4 is the best J bass I've ever played. It's incredible. My Sadowsky JJ5 is right up there with it.
  13. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Ben Lindsey jazz bass. I have three of them. Ben's customer service and quality are excellent. More important, the basses feel like I've been playing them for years as soon as I pick them up and they look and sound great.
  14. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

I know Jaguar's technically aren't jazz basses, but they pretty much are... only more versatile!
  15. IPA

IPA

Having run through several different Js the last few months, and ending up with a MIM FSR (basically a standard) I agree.

[​IMG]
  16. Wallace320

Wallace320

So are you
    "+3"
    about MIM standard Jazz basses, right?

They're honestly impressive for the price
    And I dare to add the rare "Standard V"

Cheers,
    Wallace
  17. IPA

IPA

yes!
  18. jcsgroove

jcsgroove

Disclosures:
    Jackie Clark endorses EBS amps & pedals,Evidence Audio,iGiG cases
    My very first bass was a '74 jazz my mom bought for $250 in '78..mint condition! I still record with it today and I'd be willing to put it up against any J-bass out there!

I also owned a 2002 Joe Osborn Lakland I got from when I was an artist with the company...I recently sold it here on TB but,it was to a good friend so,I still have access :) :)

Attached Files:

19. Wallace320

Wallace320

So you got it filled up with signatures, Seymour Duncan's QP and a... gold plated Leo Quann's BadAssII bridge?

Other than those, is it all stock?
    Amazing

Cheers,
    Wallace
  20. freshbass

freshbass

Fender Road worn jazz bass. Instantly comfortable for this 57 yr. old pro. real old school tone.