your favorite sound Foobar uppers

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cnltb, Dec 25, 2013.

1. cnltb

cnltb

The title almost says it...
    I am interested to see what people are using to mess with their tone.
    Not distortion or over drive, not chorus, flanger and other mainstream effects...unless they're extreme or in some way quirky..interesting and really messing with your signal.

Different, interesting, maybe random or strange etc is what I'm looking to hear about :)

Thanks!

2. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

Well, not sure if it counts, but I'm sure looking forward to trying out the Boss SYB-5/Hot Hand 3 combo, my Christmas present to myself. Probably won't be able to find a use for it in my current gigs (funk cover band and an urban gospel gig), but it'll still be fun! ;)

I think my favorite "sound f**ker upper" effect to date is still the "Drone" effect in my old Toneworks AX1B. It was essentially what EHX's Ravish Sitar does, bass guitar blendable with a sitar effect and you could choose the key. Because of that, I've always wanted to try the Ravish, but I just don't have a use for it and... it's EHX. :meh:

5sg.

3. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

4. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

bit crushers/sample reducers are always fun, and then there's the bassballs!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

Copilot Orbit is a fuzz and VCO. It can get really messy and crazy. The Idiotbox Blasteroid can make some really strange ringmodish/gated sounds the Deathray seems really fun. It's an oscillating fuzz that doesn't oscillate unless you are playing and I thing it has some sort of ringmod in there too. I totally destroy my signal with my Gnomeratron as well.

7. Spectrum

Spectrum

Digitech Bass Synth Wah. I use this for several of our songs when we need a spacey synth sound. Use with a delay, add other effects, and serve warm. Nice thing is it's under a hundred bucks, too.

8. cnltb

cnltb

which ones are you using?
    I am looking for one too :).

9. Sheffield

Sheffield

Dwarfcraft The Great Destroyer or Electro-Harmonix Frequency Analyzer.

10. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i recently picked up a mooer lo fi machine. haven't quite put it through its paces yet, but i'm digging it so far.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/mooer-lofi-machine-sample-reducing-effects-pedal

i like the mix knob. the sample knob is a bit touchy and barely usable past a certain threshold. i usually have the bit knob at 1-2 o'clock. it has been worth the cost to me as i picked it up used and made some trades for it, getting out the door -$10. i liked the simple control layout and small footprint.

it's a good toy for the cost, but i think there are some better ones out there, although they are more expensive. the earthquaker devices bit commander looks like fun as well, but i don't have any direct experience with it.

11. LowG

LowG

Alesis bitrman

12. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
  13. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

I'd say that crazy/random/f*cked-up usually makes me think of:

Ring modulators - my favorite is the EHX Frequency Analyzer. Other people like the Moogerfooger, the Randy's Revenge, or the EHX Ring Thing

Bitcrushers - my fave is the Hexe, others like the Iron Ether Franta Bit, WMD Geiger Counter, etc.

other random stuff:

Mid-Fi Glitch Computer - glitching 2-octave down fuzz that goes crazy with random notes

Red Panda Particle - a screwed up delay that chops up your signal into tiny shreds and then plays them out of order, backwards and forwards and who knows what, it sounds awesome

Copilot Orbit/Subdecay Noisebox - These are slightly different pedals, but give you similar sounds. Like a fuzz along with filtery FM laser-beam sweeps and squalls.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've got one coming tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Freq Analyzer was Devo's ring mod of choice back in the day. Nowadays Mark Mothersbaugh uses a Frogg ring mod and it's decent but just not the same. However, the Frogg tapes to his guitar a lot easier.

16. brandau

brandau

Ive been playing with a new band recently that gets into electronic/synth bass territory. I've rediscovered my Korg G4 bass synth. It's got some amazing analog synth tones...also cool Distortion and octave settings. I highly recommend getting one of these if you can find one.

And then there's the trusty boss oc2. I love the pure octave sound-very 808 esc. Dial in a little overdrive or fuzz and it starts to sound like a saw wave...

My secret weapon is a Glenn Wylie fuzzisizer! It's a custom made fuzz wah with a bass tone control... It's absolutely amazing and creates some truly original tones. Very synthy when used with the octave. If you have Spotify checkout this link where I used it... http://open.spotify.com/track/ 03wdDJel6QhAXbFwFwrFWM

The fuzzisizer comes in around 40secs. The track is "Carry the One" by The Old Ceremony-Remixed

17. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

Why do you guys even bother entering the Effects section of the forum if you don't use them and just want to make a snotty comment? It's like a gay man walking into a strip club just to tell everyone he doesn't like girls.

Nobody cares.

18. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

I bet self pleasuring gets....interesting.... for you then?

:hyper: :bassist: !!!FUNKY.WEIRD.CRAZY.FINGERS!!! :bassist: :hyper:

oh baby...

For me, any fuzz into the Boomstick Bottom Feeder results in SUPER ANGRY DUCK MONSTER QUACK!
    Almost unusable without some sort of limiting or compression.

19. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

Dude, I'm so gonna use that at some point in my future before I die. That's funny right there. Lol

I had a Gnomeratron for a brief time and it definitely qualifies as "messes up your signal." It was pretty brutal. And of all places, I turned it on for the first time at rehearsal for the contemporary church choir I was playing for at the time. Lol

5sg.

20. ZombieSpacebat

ZombieSpacebat

Dwarfcraft SOMMS is good for some destructive noisy nonsense..

21. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

That would have been very funny to witness.