1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

your favorite team is playing the superbowl..

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by glocke1, Jan 1, 2014.

1. glocke1

glocke1

, its the first bowl game for them in over a decade and you have tickets…

but your band is scheduled to play a gig that day.

what do you do?
  2. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

Oof, tough call. If it's more than 4 weeks out, I would cancel the gig, arrange another band to cover it if possible, or if the rest of the band is dying to do it, get a sub. Less than 4 weeks and I would reluctantly honor the gig. Get on it, time is wasting! I would cancel the gig if there was even a chance to see my team play in the Superbowl, like they're in the playoff and if they make it, I know I will have tickets, then I'd bag that gig right now.
  3. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

Sell tickets at huge profit. Watch game on DVR.
  4. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

I'd go to the game. How often are the Detroit Redwing's gonna make it to the Super Bowl? It's probably a once in a lifetime thing!
  5. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

If it was my band, I'd sell the tickets and go to work (beside, were talking about S.F. here).
  6. the yeti

the yeti

i would've marked that date as "al not available" on the band calendar when i bought the tix.
    but in the position you described i'd go w/joe's plan.
  7. oldrocker

oldrocker

Sounds fishy to me, how could you possible know your team is playing in the Superbowl?
  8. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

a sunday gig during the superbowl? I would never agree to play that gig in the first place because something like that would take the crowds attention away from the show. I mean if the place has even 1 TV your basically background music. If the place doesn't have the game on its likely not many people will come see you play
  9. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well! Supporting Member

This!!! :D
  10. mellowinman

mellowinman

I've never missed a gig.

I just don't do that to my band-mates.

I'm not judging; that's just my personal code. I played a show shortly after spinal surgery, and that one was PAINFUL. I am very obsessed with music; always have been.

Plus, why would I want to be at the Superbowl to watch the Vikings become the first team in history to lose their fifth?
  11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Game no question. Gigs will come but a Superbowl again? Maybe not.
  12. skwee

skwee

Try to get a sub!
  13. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

I'd make the gig, because sports are pointless bread-and-circuses and music is art. Man. ;-)

</troll>

(And yes, I am just delightful at parties!)
  14. LAST_C

LAST_C

I wonder how your bandmates feel about that? All I know is that, If I ever did that, I'd be fired right away. Try to get a sub, that's the best thing I can tell you.
  15. dalkowski

dalkowski

Wasn't that the Super Bowl they lost to Toronto yesterday (I was rooting for the Wings)?

I'd sell the tix. The high spectacle-to-actual game ratio, combined with the likely weather for this one, make it a non-starter for me. Plus, I'd much rather be playing music.
  16. Vintagefiend

Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all. Supporting Member

This.

and THIS.

Unless you're playing AT the Super Bowl or are getting big $$ to play at a Super Bowl party or something (!!???), then there is no way you should be playing a gig on Super Sunday.

If you already know that your favorite team is playing...then you need to PM me, as you have access to info the rest of us are not privvy.
  17. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

I am in total agreement here. You will be nothing, but background music. Will this gig even be helpful to your band? Why would anyone pay a band to play on Superbowl Sunday? I can understand early afternoon before the game, but if it is during the evening, it's not worth it.

If the band wants to do it no matter what, get a sub and be done with it.
  18. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

TIP: Mark your calendars NOW with the dates not to book - for example, super bowl Sunday (unless its a super bowl party), Easter day, Thanksgiving day, Christmas Day, your wife's birthday, etc. Also mark the dates you want more money for - for example, Valentine's and St. Patrick's Day, Memorial Day and Labor Day weekend, Cinco de Mayo, Halloween, New Years Eve.
  19. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Singerbabe is vaguely aware of football. She would schedule something. Drummerbabe, who is her childhood best friend, is very aware of football and is a Seahawks fan. Drummerbabe would kick her ass for scheduling it. Problem solved.
  20. DannyBob

DannyBob

Ew. Sports.

Music > Superbowl