Your favourite 112 - Help me choose!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Anthbass, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Anthbass

Anthbass

So, I recently moved and put most of my gigging gear in storage for the foreseeable future. Keeping things simple, and not currently playing with a band, I want to buy a quality 112 to pair with my Carvin B800. I will be playing a pair of 5-strings through the new cab, a Cirrus and passive Clement fretless. Tonal goals are... pretty open, really. Mostly, the cab will be used for practice and low-volume noodling. As far as brand name flavours go, I had an Epifani PS112 that I liked (still have one of their 210 cabs). I've used Mesa, GK, Peavey, Yorkville, and several others. I've never tried a Bergantino, or anything from EA. Yup, open to trying something different, with cost not really an issue. Recommendations? Cabs to avoid? Thanks!
  2. rpsands

rpsands

TC112(AF potentially) is the best standalone 1x12 for the majority of players. (IMO)
  3. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

AudioKinesis Thunderchild 112 or the new Acme Low B-112 cabs are pretty darn cool if you're looking for clear, transparent tone with a lot of oomph. Plenty of comments and reviews on TB.
  4. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

good suggestions above ...

if you want to have some fun you could build a fEARful 12/6
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    You mentioned Bergantino. Pretty hard to beat. I've used the HT112, the AE112 and the EX112. Each has a different voice, but all are pretty fine and will take a lot of hard work. The Bergs are certainly my all-time favorites - and I've been playing many brands for almost 50 years.
  7. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

+1. Very nice as well.
  8. Federighi

Federighi

Epifani's UUL-1x12 is awesome. Clean, light & powerful.
  9. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

+1

If not, check out the DNA DNS-112N.
  10. lo-freq

lo-freq

AudioKinesis Thunderchild 112 or upcoming Bergantino HD112 (because Jim B knows how to do it right and this will be his 4th iteration of the 1x12 format).

Haven't heard the G-K Neo 112 III, but have heard good things about them.
  11. Tim1

Tim1

My Bergantino HT112ER has more bottom end than any other 112 I have played.
  12. atrapp

atrapp Gold Supporting Member

Aguilar gs112... i have four. 30 odd lbs each, fat and a little scooped.
  13. gillento

gillento

Aguilar db112 or SL112 (sits right between the gs112 and the db112 tonally)!
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like this one. I use one as an extension cab for my AG500-112C combo.
  15. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

for "noodling" and downsizing... one of the more impressive amps I've run into was the Line6 1-10

Tim
  16. baskruit

baskruit

A tad more than that. 42 lbs. (I know, I have two). Still, not bad.
  17. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 to most of the comments above.

For the most simple (i.e., just order on Musician's Friend and have your cab in a few days), the GK Neo 112. Nice 'mid level' performance, good price.

If you want to get a bit more serious about it, and are willing to spend more money and wait a few months, the Audiokinesis Thunderchild is remarkable for small size, surprising 'gig worthy' volume, and studio monitor clean and smooth. It is a 4ohm cab, which work well with the micro heads, given its moderate SPL and ability to handle some juice.

The Acme FullRange 112 is very cool, and they are ready made for purchase, even though you have to purchase from the company directly. Usually, delivery is within a week or so. VERY deep (voiced to truly go to 30hz), low SPL. Comes in 4ohm which I would recommend for use with a micro head. VERY nice 'practice cab', since the tone is SO full at low volumes. However, unique, wide voicing which some will love and some not so much.

A used Bergantino HT112ER would be cool (they are discontinued now), or possibly wait for the replacement product HD112, due to start shipping in a month or so. Heavier (non-neo), but very fat and smooth sounding.

For you needs (noodling), the GKNeo 112 would probably be the easy way to go.

I have a number of clips up of the Bergantino HT112ER, the Thunderchild and the Acme Fullrange, which you might find helpful.
  18. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

My .02: nuther vote for Audiokinesis or fEarful (both head and broad shoulders above the rest IMHO), with honourable mentions to Mesa Scout, EA Wizzy and GB Neox.
  19. Russell L

Russell L

Markbass 121H cab is nice.
  20. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

The Berg did it for me. My 2nd fave is the Aggie GS112.
  21. Anthbass

Anthbass

Some great suggestions. I admit a curiousity about the fEARful cabinets, and there is a fellow locally who is a builder, whom I've been in contact with. I said in my original post that price was not much of a concern, but the cost of having one of these units built, with the current neodymium 'situation', is not inconsiderable.

Thank you, Ken, for your thoughts and the videos you put up on YT; I trawl through them frequently.

The Acme 112 is appealing, as is the Thunderchild. Do you contact Duke directly for inquiries? I didn't see the cab listed on his webpage.

Again, great info, keep it coming!