1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Your got-to gauge, and why?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Vcell, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Vcell

Vcell

What's the gauge that really does the job for you, and why? How many years before you just "knew." Do you use a different gauge for flats vs. round?
  2. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

You know, I've been wrestling with this lately because for years I"ve used medium gauge (typically GHS Boomer rounds on some basses, flats on others). Lately, though, due to a change of the type of music I've been playing, I'm wanting to try heavy gauge strings, so that my G is not so "twangy". I'd like it to have a deeper, heavier sound that I can't seem to get simply through adjusting my eq.

I'm also wanting to change to heavy gauge on my 8 string bass, with heavier octave strings as well, for the same reason.

What I don't want, however, is my E an A string to feel too big, unruly and/or uncomfortable. I have a concern (fear?) that they may feel too thick.

What I may end up doing is simply putting a heavier gauge G string on my basses while keeping medium gauge for all the others.

To answer your second question, I use the same gauge for rounds and flats.
  3. cnltb

cnltb

On my 5 string it's 46-126...at the moment.
    It's not the be all and end all however.
  4. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

custom gauge set. 115, 90, 65, 45
    for me its the most balanced set there can be. i like a tight E string, no loose floppy crap for me. even with the 115 im only tuned down a half step, and occasionally drop D
  5. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I've figured out that it depends largely on the strings in question, but there's no definitive gauge for me. I like TI's which are very light and I like Labella DTF 45-105 which are not. Rounds are a little different and I'll usually go for a 45-100, but that isn't set in stone either. Pretty much any string I can set up with low action and very little buzzing on my P bass is the "right" string. Currently that's a 45-105 set of Labella Deep Talkin.
  6. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    The moment I had more than one bass I had to ditch the notion of a go-to . . . at least as a universal standard for multiple instruments. Each bass has its own wants and desires. Took me a while to come to that.
  7. Vcell

Vcell

I always always always used GHS Boomers .45. I recently put on some Cobalts, but they are so present that I upped to .50 to maintain the deepness.

Now I am ready to put flats on my Aria ProII with passive split coil. And just don't know what gauge. So I guess I start with .45s and test from there.
  8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Yep. Some basses like different strings indeed.
  9. CnB77

CnB77

In my experience heavier strings are twangier
  10. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Really?!?! I'm not knocking what you're saying, but it sounds counter intuitive. I assumed a thicker gauge string would sound "heavier", if that makes sense.
  11. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

Generally 45-100 or 105. It just feels right.
  12. jacojbass

jacojbass Supporting Member

Ok, for my go to bass, balanced tension Daddario 130 - 40. I find every bass has different needs string wise.
  13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I have liked Labella Deep Talkin' Flats in light gauge .043-.104 on every bass I've played. It didn't take that long for me to try them and decide I liked them. GHS flats and Chromes are OK with me, too.
  14. Jensby design

Jensby design

Very true.I have one bass that plays and sounds way better with low tension strings (35lbs-20lbs), and one that plays and sound better with higher tension strings (45+lbs).
    I built both of those basses and used very different materials.
  15. billgwx

billgwx Supporting Member

I use 45-105's these days. I have gone heavier on the P-bass with 55-105 rounds. Think I might go lighter with rounds on my J in the future...40-100 or 40-95.
  16. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    45-100 for me, tuned Eb
  17. Itzayana

Itzayana

50-65-85-100 SS flats.
  18. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

........and a brand also. I have tried them all, but I keep coming back to D'Addario XL Nickel Mediums. I have bought and played much more expensive strings. I even have a deal with one company that allows me to get strings MUCH cheaper than I can get these. (Kind of a partial endorsement I guess?) But as soon as a put a set of something else on my basses I can't wait to get some XL Nickels back on it. I can live with regular lights, but prefer the mediums. (Full disclosure:I'm a bit heavy-handed)
    http://www.daddario.com/DADProductD...und_5_String_Bass__Medium__50_135__Long_Scale
  19. prokfrog

prokfrog

45;65;80;100;125 Feels right and sounds the most balanced to me
  20. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

I never calculated the perfect set. I tend to average around 90 for a 4 string, having used 85 and 95. Prefer SS rounds. I find the thinner strings easier to play and easier on necks. I really got into them after I bought my first 8 string. It came strung with the cables you see holding up bridges, and the neck looked like you could actually shoot arrows with it. After that, I got used to them. Thick strings feel clumsy and hard to work with.

I do make an exception for my 5 string, I downtune and use the thickest strings I can find that will fit. With the lower tension they are manageable and as a bonus provide some nice string rattle.