YOUR Headphone Practicing Setup

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Tony Flow MMMM, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

I'm looking for my first headphone practicing setup as I'm now in a position. I can't blow the walls down all day long.

I'm not asking for headphones because there's a ton of threads out there asking that. Hopefully not too many out there asking this. I searched but the tapatalk app sucks.

What do you use to play with audio in? A mini minding board? A vox amplug? An I rig?

I have an irig and am somewhat agast the idea of using it, or something similar like an amplug.

I could probably use a mini mixing board for other things too.
    What do you find most convenient.
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

I tried the new Vox active headphones and they sound very nice, much nicer than the Amplugs.
    They also are very convenient. You plug the phones into the bass and that's it.
  3. RxFunk

RxFunk

I had started a thread asking something sort of similar, and got a lot of suggestions to use a GK MB200 amp head with a set of headphones for silent practice since it has an aux jack on it. I think they go for $250-260 for a new one.
  4. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

I use a Mackie 402VLZ mixer. It's a small 4 channel mixer. The first two inputs have instrument switches on the line inputs so you can plug your bass right in without using a direct box. Channel 4 has a stereo input so you can run the stereo outputs from a laptop, or CD player right in. The headphone out is right on top and it's got plenty of power. This is the only set-up I use and it sounds great. I've got all of my CDs transferred to a hard drive so I can play with anything. The mixer is about 7"x 7" and it cost $99 new.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I have several components that I can hook up a few different ways. Headphones. A small $35 mixer. A Macbook Pro with Garageband. iPhone.

Typically I go bass > pedal board > amp head > mixer > laptop > headphones

I do this because I use Garageband to playback an mp3 on track 1 while I listen to myself on track 2.

But if I'm just wanting to hear myself, like dialing in pedal sounds, I can go bass > pedalbaord > amp > headphones

Or I could plug my iphone into the mixer. In which case I would go bass > pedal board > amp > mixer > headphones (also iphone > mixer > headphones)

None of this may have the convenience of the $50 doohickies with built in effects and amp sims. But I don't want someone's crappy built in effects or amp sims. I want my real effects and my real amp. It matters to me. I want to sound like I sound. Therefore my board and possibly even my amp must be involved.
  7. Tony Flow MMMM

Has aux input?

With a board I could also use it for recording if it has a usb.
  8. Tony Flow MMMM

I was looking at this one.
  9. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Yes, the Amphone has a standard 1/8" stereo input jack to connect an iPod, etc.

I have used an Amplug (bass version) for the past few years, and I am very happy with it. It's worth every penny IMO. I plug my Sony MDR-7506 headphones into it, and my iPod into it, and I'm good to go!
  10. Tony Flow MMMM

Oh man these look good! Very simple!! I like!
  11. Tony Flow MMMM

Man now the only thing holding me back is I DO need a usb interface for my Mac. However I'd still need headphones.. Might as well use these. I'm really liking this!! Might orders one tonight.
  12. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Exactly what I use. It's a great mixer and quite a powerful tool.
  13. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

14. Tony Flow MMMM

Have any idea where the aux goes in?
  15. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

M-Audio Fast Track Pro. USB connection to the computer. Very good sound. Not too expensive.
  16. pokeyNW

pokeyNW

17. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Lots of info here:

http://www.voxamps.com/us/amphone/

And here is a pic from that website. It shows the 1/8" AUX input hole (empty) in the ear cup. (click on the pic to enlarge it)...
  18. VBassRookie

VBassRookie

I use a Tascam US-122 into my macbook pro. Then use either Logic or Garage Band. Looks like you already have a Mac so I would suggest some kind of USB or Firewire interface instead of a headphone only setup. More uses available.
  19. scotts42

scotts42 Banned

+1 cafe Walter
  20. TorontoAlex

TorontoAlex

Bit more cash than some of the other options, but I use a Zoom B3. I've got it plugged into a USB on my Mac, that way I can play along with ITunes/YouTube whatever, plus the USB powers the B3 as well. Again it's more expensive than some others, but you get not just a headphone amp, but a preamp that can drive most power amps, loaded with lots of great effects, a tuner, looper, drum machine, XLR output, and lots of other goodies. If you get that, you just plug in the USB and you're good to go, no messing around with aux in cables and the like.
  21. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

I've got the zoom b9. It has an 1/8th inch input. I use my phone or iPad and the amazing slowdowner app.