1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Your most embarrasing stage moment......

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Jason Wilson, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

Another light hearted thread where we can share our most embarrasing stage moments.....

Hmm, I looked back at some old photos of me playing in the 80's and saw a pic of me in tights with a huge pair of socks down 'there'. It was covered by my bass until the band was introduced, when I was introduced I lifted my bass up and stood side on, the girls mouths opened..ha ha. But the look, tights etc, embarrasing.
    We also got streaked by another band, maybe more funny than embarrasing.

Come on, I'm sure I can easily be out done?!?

Oh yeah, I also got too drunk, sung out of key & then got dizzy headbanging and fell into the drums. :help:

2. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

moved to Bass Humor and Gig Stories.

3. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

Chick singer threw a tantrum and just plopped down on the stage and refused to sing. Fired. But embarrassing at the time.

4. WhiteKnuckles

WhiteKnuckles

I've flat busted my ass slipping off of a drum riser, I've wondered where that horrible smell was coming from to turn around and see my open instrument case on fire from a pyro....

...but there is nothing like a big open bass string plucking to open a set on the count of two, especially when everyone else counts to four. :oops:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

Ha ha, yup, been there, the worlds shortest & most embarrasing bass solo

7. Ajak

Ajak

It was at a graduation ceremony, probably 400-500 people in this beautiful big old concert hall. I played the intro to Chameleon 4 times alone (standard line) before the band should join in. so this was my big spotlight moment. it all started well and I was really in the groove when I had the brilliant idea to try a little fill at the end of my intro and I fell out of time. The whole band was confused and it took us like 4-5 bars to get back together.

But that wasn't all for the day. the next song was Stitched Up (Herbie Hancock feat. John Mayer) which has this small break after the solo. just a general pause on 1 and then back to normal on 2. no need to tell you I seized my chance to play a second solo. :D

:bag:

8. Russell L

Russell L

Well, here's another. I've told this more than once around here. It was the night of the Columbia Philharmonic Orchestra's concert. On the list was Rigoletto, by Rossini. During one of the main melodies in this piece comes a "Grand Pause" which means everyone stops abruptly for a moment of dead silence. The first time around you play it through, but the second time has the pause. Heh, except for ME!!! "WHONK!" Did I say during the damn concert, all nice in our tuxedos with a full house?!!! Oh my god, talk about wanting to crawl under the curtain and out the back door. I tried to make a joke of it with the conductor at intermission, but he just stared at me and then walked off. I get shivers just thinking about it. Sheez.

9. precijazz

precijazz I want a name when I lose. Supporting Member

In my former incarnation as a sax player, there was this gig where I jumped up and down a bit until with a "crack" I broke through the stage floor. The real floor was just half a meter below, but, being a sax player, I bit my lip nicely. The band managed to finish the tune somehow before collapsing with laughter.

Not to mention it was the greatest breakthrough I had as a musician so far.

10. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

We were playing for a 3 band indoor Keg party, and the stage floor had this really slick wood finish. We were a bit late setting up, and the drummer didn't have time to duct-tape the drums down. Well on the 1st note of the 1st song - he knocked them down all over me (and it wasn't the 1st time either) so we had to stop and tape them down.

11. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

Frat party...
    Stillwater Oklahoma...
    Band is playing the intro to the song...I am off stage downing a cup of beer. It's about time to sing so I run towards the band staging area intending to grab the mic and whip into the vocal all at the same time...wasn't playing an instrument at the time, just fronting a band. So as I'm running to the mic stand I slipped on some beer that had spilled on the floor and went feet first into the drums on my back side, knocking over a cymbol stand and relocating the drum kit a couple of feet from where it was sitting. Guitarist tosses the mic to me. I'm laying on my back, feet and legs all tangled up in drums, and start singing "Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields".....Brown Sugar. The drummer never missed a beat.

12. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Disclosures:
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    After the gig, rolling up a mic cord elbow to hand style. Came close to the end, when I went a little too fast, and the end on the floor came flying up and hit me in the nads........

13. FunkyMitch

FunkyMitch

One time I was playing at church and there was an intermission so I was just noodling some notes and I kind of spaced out but continued noodling. And after intermission was over I was still just making a racket of noise. I came to from la la land and noticed all my band mates and people in the congregation were staring at me waiting for the music to start. I was pretty embarrassed.

14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    We were playing a large outdoor gig and it was a Friday night so there were thousands of people there. I have diabetes and frequent urination can be an issue at times. We were finishing up our last set and I was doing my best to hold on until we were done so I could make a dash for the rest room. The band that was supposed to go on after us didn't show up so the manager of the venue asked our BL to play another set. I figured we were going to take a short break so when we finished our set, I put down my bass. The BL looked at me and asked me where I was going. I told him that I was going to the rest room. He said that I couldn't go because we had to keep playing until the other band showed up. I told him that they would have to wait and to just announce that we were going to take a 5 minute break. He instead walked up the mic and said "We are going to take a short break so my bass player can go piss". I went to the mic and said "That's me and I will be right back". The BL was furious because he said I made him look foolish by making a joke out of it. I think he was more embarassed than I was.

Another time with the same BL, we were playing a song and the drummer, keyboard player and I all stopped at the same time. The BL/guitar player kept going. When he realized his mistake he stopped, grabbed the mic, turned and looked at us and said "I think you guys need to rehearse more".

15. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

Dam, that happened to me too. Ouch!! (in a very high voice)

16. ma4rk

ma4rk

That's your cable taking revenge for using the cable ruining Elbow-Hand technique!!!

17. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

It's my revenge for the always getting under my feet trick my leads always do........or it could be me

18. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

That's the other reason not to roll cords that way...

19. I<34080

I<34080

I missed a few notes.

20. Ajak

Ajak

I got another one. It's kind of weird. We played at some kind of a family party where our sax player's dad shows up and tells us that he'd like to do a band reunion with some other guys that were around and if they could use our instruments. We said sure. And there was no problem, except that the bassplayer shortened my strap (since he was smaller). That wouldn't have been a problem if I had noteiced it... I didnt, however, until I walked up on stage, picked up my bass and hit myself in the nose really hard with it's upper horn/body. :bawl:

21. iridiumrocks

iridiumrocks

In my classic rock band with two guitar players, we closed one set with a quiet duet by the singer and guitar player #1. The rest of our set was heavy high-volume rock. Guitar player #2 and I started walking off the stage as this quiet song was starting. As I headed off the stage, I felt my shoe snag on something. I turned to see that I had snagged the cord to guitar player #2's Les Paul that was sitting in the stand and still turned up to full volume. I watched in horror as the guitar started falling face down out of the stand. It crashed to the floor and made a horrendously loud noise that scared the crap out of everyone in the place. As I walked over to pick up the guitar and turn it down, everyone in the place was looking at me like I was from another planet. :D
    :bag: