Your most playable bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by benthughes, Aug 27, 2012.

1. benthughes

benthughes Supporting Member

In my quest for the perfect bass I've come to a realization. Most instruments can be made to sound pretty good with the right guts and a good amp. That being said I like basses that are comfortable and play well first then I address the electronics.

What are your best playing basses and why?

I love my G&L L-2500 and my Lull PJ5. The G&L is lightweight, has a wonderful satin finished neck that is chunky but relatively narrow at the nut. The ultralight tuners prevent neck dive and the neck hardly moves with changes in the weather.

My Mike Lull is a bit different but again the neck is very comfortable, it balances well and the ash body is amazingly lightweight. I don't know how he does it but I can get the action as low on that thing as any custom bass I've ever touched. The 35" scale gives me a nice string tension that remains tight when I down tune.

Ready go!
  2. nickbass79

nickbass79

I have narrowed my basses down to the 2 most playable basses. My Carl Thompson 6 fretless 36" and my Fodera Emperor II 5 35" are THE most playable basses I have found after 30+ basses. It's like the necks, and bodies were sculpted for me personally. The added bonus is their aesthetics and their tone is exactly what I was looking for. Officially, I can say I have no more GAS for basses...except a 4 string CT or Fodera, but that can wait.
  3. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN Gold Supporting Member

My Bordwell SC5 fretless. Exactly the neck I've always wanted, and the bass balances perfectly whether I am sitting or standing. Tone-wise, awesome. So much so, that similar to nickbass, I'm selling off (or have sold off) everything else in order to fund a fretted CB.
  4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

63 P with a setup from JohnK plays beautifully. Strung with flats, but I've thought about rounds to get a more modern tone out of it. Nice, easy low action. All of my P basses were sweet playing instruments. For fretless I have a Warwick that is an outstanding player.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Snarf

Snarf

I have owned Roscoes, Conklin GTs, Carvins, Fenders, a Stambaugh, and played countless other basses.

The most playable bass out of all of them is my first bass: a Mexican Fender Precision. The thing is one in a million.
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

For me that is a very tough call as my Carvin, Dingwall, and EBMM StingRay all play fantastically in very different ways, depends on what mood I'm in and what I feel like playing.

I love my Fender P to death, it is my baby, but I am not in denial about the fact that it is a MIM and the level of workmanship is just not the same as a professional level bass.
  8. Marty Forrer

Marty Forrer

Squier CV 60s P with TI flats.
    Yamaha TRB5.
    Pedulla Rapture.
  9. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja

Media:
    I feel the same way, playability over any thing else.
    Mine is a Ibanez Mikro stringed with .040-.095 rounds.
  10. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan

Most playable? My Carvin B4. The neck is not too big, and is perfectly between P and J size. I have it strung with Labella .045 to .105, and it's just so much fun to play and sounds awesome.

Second would have to be my Stingray 4. A bigger neck but it dang near plays itself, and always sounds awesome.
  11. malthumb

malthumb Supporting Member

My 1980 Music Man Sabre is my easiest to play overall. My 2004 Marchlewski is my easiest to play 5-string.

Small body, nice comfortable neck, very low action with no buzzes or rattles. I also have a 1979 Sabre which plays very well, but the 1980 is just.......wow.

The reason I mention the Marchlewski as easiest to play 5-string is because the neck profile is just perfect for me. Flat and wide. When I had it built, I measured the neck on a Hanewinckel 6-string that I had at the time and asked Jake to give me the same profile, but in a 5-string. He nailed it.

In retrospect, both my 1980 Sabre and my Marchlewski were both set up by Mike Koontz. My 1979 was set up by someone else, so that might also be saying something.
  12. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    My Schecter Studio 6 is probably my most playable. I don't know what it is about that bass, but it plays like butter.
  13. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works/Barker Bass
    The finest playing bass I have ever owned (and still own :D) is my FBB fretless 6 .... nothing else even comes close. I love all of my basses, and I'm thrilled with the Barker Vertical 6, but absolutely none of them can lay a finger on the FBB 6 :cool:
  14. Jenra

Jenra

My Sandberg pj4 - a beautiful piece of craftmansship!
    No neck dive, nice neck with nice playability (the best i've felt, but i'm young)
    Besides this an absolute stunning look, isn't beside itself? :)
  15. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

IMO, playability is mostly in the setup. If I can get the string height and truss rod right, I have no worries. To date, I have never met a neck or a bass I couldn't get used to or that resisted basic adjustments. Fortunately for me, I've never had a poor-quality bass.
  16. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

My Carvin B50, without a doubt. I do love my modded SX and enjoy breaking out the Squier VM (with flats) for that old school thump, but neither feels as naturally comfortable to play as my Carvin.
  17. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    My 1973 Jazz by far. Amazing thin neck and the setup is perfect.... as low as possible. I play very hard, so it is hard to find a bass I can dig into without the action being high.

For a 5 string, my Modulus Q5. Super low action, fact neck and ergonomic.
  18. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma Supporting Member

Fodera MG is my most playable bass I have ever had.
    I also own a P bass and used to own a smith, mtd kingston, ibanez, warwick. Sold most of them because after playing the fodera I didn't have a need to have other basses (other than the P bass for situational stuff).
  19. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    LEJ followed by my VJ.
    When I change stations My Ibby is my axe for 3 ish months.
    As of late, I have been getting more upright work, so My azola is becoming vastly more playable.
  20. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

Church!
  21. capnjagg

capnjagg

My Applause AE-40 that my dad's friend gave me. Nice low action, and as far as acoustic basses go, I can get just the sound I need out of it. Next would be my Squier P, which still needs a proper set-up, and my Epi T-bird comes in last due to the fret buzz at low action. It's not really bad, but it's just bad enough to where it bugs me.