Your Not Ed Sullivan Show

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Casting Thunder, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

We've all heard about the impact of The Beatles being on The Ed Sullivan Show. Growing up I thought it was silly how much people talked about it; I grew up around concerts and jam sessions, I knew how much more awesome 'being there live' music is vs watching it on TV.

Than McCartney played the 2005 Superbowl. Normal I run off during the halftime show, but Mom forced me to stick around for this one. Once it started you wouldn't have be able to rip me away. I was eleven, and after that show I started really paying attention at concerts, and incidentally keying into the bassists. (Which is funny since my mom just said that this guy was a Beatle.) Seven years later I got a bass, which ended up being southpaw.

So everyone else who missed the Ed Sullivan Show, have you still had that enlightening moment with something on TV?
  2. Basshappi

Basshappi

I am re-watching one of them right now.
    Yes performing "The Gates Of Delirium" with a full orchestra on the DVD Symphonic Yes. This is one of the finest pieces of music ever written and this rendition is the best one Yes ever performed. The first time I saw it it shook me to the core and it still blows me away everytime I watch it.

When I was a kid programs like "Midnight Special" and Don Kirshner's "Rock Concert" were fantastic as was the ocasional rock movie like "The Song Remains The Same". It was the only way, aside from actually going to see a concert, of watching our favorite bands perform. MTV did not begin until I was a Junior in high school but HBO would sometimes play videos in between movies. It was there that I first saw Rush in a video of "The Trees", that has always stuck with me because I was such a huge Rush fan but there was only the photos of them in album covers and on posters. To get to watch them actually performing was a very big deal to me.
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Many many times, especially the Night Music show, but also on Saturday Night Live quite a few times. Here's one of many Night Music performances I especially enjoyed.

Being a geezer, I did catch Elvis, The Beatles, and the Rolling Stones on Ed's show too though.
  4. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig +1

Yes music is on a whole 'nother level.......waaaaaaay above everything else (IMHO).
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GeezerEntwistle

GeezerEntwistle

I was a pre-cable kid and whenever live music would come on my dad would yell for me to come watch, didn't mater what it was. He took to me to my first live music event which was Buddy Rich. Unfortunately and unavoidably... it has been downhill ever since.
  7. charliefreak

charliefreak

I was personally inspired by years of good motown listening and "oldies" (grew up in the 90's). One performance that constantly inspires me is watching Tal Wilkenfeld kick it with Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scotts. I know she's better now as a player and her style is still developing, but it's her story up to this point in her carrier that inspires me. Not to mention her playing is just sick on these sets. I'd love to see her perform live!
  8. JimK

JimK

I was very young at that time so I do not recall seeing it...still, The Beatles in the mid '60s while I lived in south Philly were a huge deal...thanks to their appearances on the Sullivan show.
    I vaguely recall seeing The Doors on the Sullivan show...I thought they were beyond cool. The Doors were "my band"...I was in the 6th grade at the time.
    The Jackson 5 were seemingly always on TV, too. Jermaine was my favourite...whatever instrument he played was the one I wanted to learn.
    Later, in High School, In Concert & then Rock Concert were what we stayed up to watch. In 1972, I wanted to watch Alice Cooper so bad...at 11:30pm, the TV went blank...the other TWO channels seemed OK. ***? Approx. 30 minutes later, the picture came back. No AC, though. Years later I learned that some local affiliates pulled the plug on the Cooper band...the youtube footage of this broadcast is classic: Alice looks drunk off his ass..."I'm Eighteen" was the opening tune...he really butchers the lyrics. ;)
    Some of the Midnight Specials were OK...a lot of those performances were canned (i.e. NOT Live).

I guess it's a generational thing...that SB 1/2 show by McCartney was pretty lame in my book. He has better appearances on SNL (w/ Hamish Stuart, Robbie McIntosh, etc).
  9. knumbskull

knumbskull

oh god... there was a terrible 'yoof' TV programme called The Word in the early 90s, and they used to have various alternative-type bands doing live performances. that was one of the things that made me sit up and take notice.
  10. steamthief

steamthief

Seeing Devo perform songs from their debut on Belushi-era SNL was mindblowing for me.

Also, I remember Michael Jackson premiering Billie Jean on some award show and watching it with my mouth hitting the floor. I'm not sure if it was live or pre-recorded, but the song sounded so fresh and new, and the moonwalking was incredible in 1982!
  11. heynorm

heynorm

I watched Elvis and the Beatles and many more... on Ed Sullivan. "The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour" also highlighted many groups on their way to the mainstream.
  12. JimK

JimK

My mom let me borrow some Carol Burnett Show DVDs...one show has the Jackson 5 (w/ a very young Randy on congas) doing "Dancing Machine". Check out a young MJ's moves on that one.