1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

your ntmb?

Discussion in 'Ask Doug Johns' started by 7777777, Jul 19, 2012.

1. 7777777

Hello Doug,

Been watching your work over years! Please keep doing it!:hyper: Have learnt a lot from your techniques!

I just recently bought MVP 5 (made in 1988) with 4 knobs, no mid switch.

Personally, I always prefer 3 bands over 2 bands, but can't deny MVP sound.

Then, I saw other thread that you installed ntmb to your MVP, instead of TBT?, and your sound is very attractive or even better than the original one. (not talking about technique :) coz my playing will never be close to you!)

So, I did that too (mine is ntmb-918f with 4 knobs; vol, pan, mid [push,pull], tre.+bass stack), but my sound is not even close to you or real MVP sound (that I used to).

I've found it terrible tre. (not as clear as piano that I had before), not useful midrange sweep, overall is worse....

My question is: did you do any other modification on ntmb or pot?

ie. resistance on tre. pot / what the little black switches (3?) are for? etc.?

Any suggestion is much appreciated!

KS.

2. Doug Johns

Doug Johns

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla, Genz Benz, Pigtronix, DR Strings, Dunlop
    This is a tough one to answer. While I don't have many more tweaks past my stock TMB, this falls into the "every bass sounds different" category. I've got two of the exact same Pedulla, 130 serial numbers away, and they just don't sound the same. Both great, but not the same.

I'd really recommend that you call Mike Pedulla. He's a great guy, down to Earth, and he is a master at helping you get the sound you want out of your instrument and its electronics. He helped me get to "my" sound.

Good luck!

3. 7777777

Thanks so much for your comment.