1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

your onstage rig, is it "your sound" "just a monitor" or "carrots"

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mowburger, Jan 26, 2013.

?

How do you use your on-stage rig?

1. It's MY sound man! You have to mic it.

58 vote(s)
    35.4%
  2. My amp is just a monitor for the band.

61 vote(s)
    37.2%
  3. My amp is an ACTUAL monitor PA/style!

20 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. carrots

31 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mowburger

mowburger

Hello. I am Mowburger.
    I wanted to get a feel for how bassists use they're amps/stage-rigs. For a few years now I've been happy using a Carvin LS1503 P.A. speaker for my rig. It has one 15" one 6" and one comp tweet. I have a Crown XLS2000 poweramp so I have enough muscle to "carry the room" if the P.A. sucks. I would liken it to playing thru a large studio monitor, any eq changes I make are very noticable. I use an Aguilar Tone Hammer for shaping my sound.

Enough about my rig. I'd like to hear about your rig, but mainly how you use it. The way I see it maybe some guys use a certain brand of amp because of how it sounds, these guys might use effects too and like how the two specific pieces of gear complement them or their "style".

If your one of these guys the amp is your sound, and thats cool. these guys prob would also like their amp mic'd as well cause thats the sound their going for, and I get that. I would suppose your amp needs to at least be as loud as your drummer or the loudest instrument in your group. How much muscle do you feel you need to bring? Is it different for diff venues or does it not matter cause your being mic'd?

I guess I ask cause I started putting my rig on stage left and pointing it across the stage as a bass side-fill and then just ask everyone where they're comfortable volume wise, and it's been working out great.

Are there guys that just use an amp as on stage monitoring for their group? If you think about it thats all it should be, but I myself have played places with shottie PA and was glad I could get LOUD! lol

Are there any of yous that actually use a PA cab or nice monitor on gigs/rehearsal? I like hearing what the FOH is getting and using a nice clean monitor works for me I guess. Whenever I play thru an actual amp I feel constrained to a certain range of sounds, and I feel like I have to use eq in a recovery sense and not the way I would normally.

Does anyone just bring a DI and IEM's? Or maybe a powered mon?

Also I'd love to hear about what gear your using AND HOW your using it, filling a club?, just getting a super unique sound maybe with a boutique small amp and relying on a PA to get you up with drums? Just an onstage monitor for you and the band?

What kind of rig/how you use it kinda thing. Also WHERE on stage is it placed, normal backline style, sidefill?

...and carrots I would love to hear about carrots.
  2. asands

asands

For me, I use a Markbass F500 and 2 TL606's loaded with Eminence 3015(non LF) speakers. I don't always use both cabs though. I usually use mine as an on stage monitor setup because most places with house sound never really get my mix right in their monitors so I like to have that control. However, we do have a handful of places that we run our own sound and I will use it to carry the room as our own PA is inadequate (something I actually brought up at the gig last night).

I like using it like a side fill also, but seem to catch a lot of flack from sound guys about that. One refused to run me into FOH because he said I was just going to "muddy up the stage", so I just set it up like he wanted me to and avoided the conflict.

As far as tone, I actually love the tone with my rig and like having it sound my way. I also use a Sansamp BDDI in front, but really wanna try something like the Aggie so I can get away from the extreme mid cut tone. It makes it really hard to hear sometimes with so much scoop.

As for carrots......delicious with ranch dressing.
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

99% of the time the PA is mine and not asked to do Bass duty. The band is always happy with my sound, up close (me) I'll sacrifice what I would like to hear in favor of how it sounds out front when the room is a problem.
    Oh yeah my rig: G-K Fusion 550 into a G-K NEO412 or NEO212 II depending on stage room and venue size.
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Carrot flavoured speaker DI.
  5. mowburger

mowburger

+1 I like to control what I sound like on stage.

The Aggy is a great piece of gear, love mine. The MXR M-80 has a mid knob, and the new VT-DIRECT looks awesome too if you need tone shaping going to FOH. Maybe the PARA-DRIVER would be better for you than the BDDI, I had one(bddi) too and it didn't stick around.

Thats crazy, youd think he'd be more upset facing your rig out into the room! Thanx for the reply!
  6. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

late 80s GK800RB through a modded Dual Showman cab (ported/tuned) with 2 JBL D140Fs. Absolutely yes, this is my sound and given the size of venues my band plays in most of the time it's sufficient to carry the house w/o SR.

For larger venues/outdoors I have another 1-15 cab I run out of the 100 watt section full range. I try to avoid going through FOH, so we see how it goes at sound check. If it's not enough or the band can't hear me then I'll let the sound guy take a direct out of the amp unless he knows how to mic it properly.

IME most don't/won't and I'm not there to argue or educate them if they're unable to, life's too short and the night too long if friction is generated, if I had the stature of Chris Squire or Jaco then that'd be a different story.

I really like gingered carrots, esp with steak.
  7. jbd5015

jbd5015 Cool cars & Bass guitars Supporting Member

i play 4 regular gigs a week. 2 gigs the sound guys take a DI from my Sansamp, 2 gigs we dont put the bass through the PA.

playing a V4B through a B40 cab 3 days a week, and a Bag End Q10BXD for the 4th day (soon to be all 4 days tho, that cab is KILLERRRRR).

Our philosophy is to not compromise too much on stage mix. we arent the loudest band and are pretty dynamic, so stage clarity is pretty important to us. Since our monitor situation is usually quite ****** at the local clubs, we rely on each others amps to hear. Fortunately we are all fairly like minded and dont get in the way of each other...most of the time!

-Jeff
  8. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

I will only ever give a post preamp DI signal. I don't particularly care about the sound of the speakers getting out to the room, but I don't want just any yahoo mucking up the way I shape my sound... (adjustments for the room are fine, but the basic EQ shape is mine and is dovetailed to the rest of the band the way I and they want it.)
  9. asands

asands

Thanks for the suggestions on the ODs!

As for the sound guy, he would end up with a good sound, but had some of the weirdest setup quirks of any of the guys who normally run for us. If I remember right, he tried to explain it to me like the sound waves from my amp would be crossing our 2 guitar players cabs (front facing) and it would muddy up his monitor mix or something. Didn't fully get it, but wasn't in the mood to argue lol.
  10. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I don't use a rig any more. When I did it was never a "my sound" thing. I sound like me thru whatever I use.
  11. marlond

marlond

I used a DB750 and an Ampeg 810. The gain structure is very important to me and I feel like the cab plays a really big roll in giving it the right amount of musical wool/grind. I fell like the DI's are too harsh. So, I always bring and request to use my RE20 mic. If a sound guy prefers another mic then I use theirs to meet them in the middle and everyone seems happy.

I also side fill whenever I possibly can. I feel like it evens out the sound on stage, I can get the rig louder and "feel it more", and the sound guys seem to always love not having to compete with it off the stage.

I have actually just convinced my band to side fill all the amps now. We just played a show at a smaller venue (that has a small PA for the room) and I convinced them do it. My guitarist had 3 separate people the in the touring bands say how much better and mixed we sounded than all the other bands. We were the only ones who side filled. :ninja:
  12. john m

john m Supporting Member

Monitor for me and the band.

I trust the sound guy to do his job.

On one gig (killer 3 part vocals, uke, and me on EUB), the sound guy was mixing like it was a big bottom dance gig.

We just were not used to that much thump.

I asked him to flatten the stuff out below 100 Hz and he obliged.

Funny thing--- I was at a Stanley Clarke show about 20 years ago. When Stanley switched to his Acoustic, he motioned to the FOH guys to "turn down his bass", then he spoke to the guys mixing monitors. I was in the 2nd row and then heard his bass mostly from his stage rig. An SWR baby blue or acoustic blonde if I recall correctly.
  13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Carrots

My amp is my sound, my monitor, the bands monitor, and the house, as it needs to carry the house 99.9% of the time.

If we happen to play with PA support (very rare), I'll give the soundguy a pre EQ signal and let him do whatever he needs to make it sound good in the house. In that case, my amp is just a monitor.
  14. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Depends on the gig.

If it's a small place I won't be in the PA. Unless the PA is kicking loud then see below.

If it's a medium size to large venue then it's my monitor.
  15. domdec314

domdec314 Supporting Member

My amp is a monitor for the drummer, as he's the only one without in ears. As soon as he gets in ears, I'm not going to use an amp on stage. Both of my guitar players are using Line 6 pedal boards for their "amps". I'll eventually replace amp with a preamp DI pedal.
  16. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Carrots...i do whatever but would prefer side fill as i believe it cleans up the foh. I don't play a lot of venues where side fill is practical though so for the most part my amp is monitor and supplemental to the PA. We do a lot of singing in my band so and so we tend to prefer lower stage volume whenever possible.
  17. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Carrots. Usually the amp is my tone since I have no (or very minimal) PA support.

If we do have PA support then my amp is just a monitor.
  18. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I always run both. I use a DI and mic the cab. Best of both worlds.

By the way, I would take all polls more seriously if everyone of them didn't have a reference to "carrots" or something else that is non musical. When I see that I won't even vote.
  19. TheRealKong

TheRealKong

+1

I didn't pay so much money and time for having a fine sound, my sound, and than going DI.

I use a GenzBenz GBE 1200 through a SWR Workingman-cab, moddet with two Beyma-Neodymuim-speakers, now 700 Watt @ 4 Ohm. The bigger the venue, the bigger the cab: Tecamp L 810, 2,400 att @ 4 Ohm, only 86 lbs. This is my favourite cab.

I go DI and microphone, our tech mixes a fine sound out of this two channels. It happened two times last year that the tech didnt get me through the FOH because the venue was too small, and the sound was fine without going FOH.

I have two more bands, I use different gear in all of them, but the way of getting my sound in the FOH is always the same. Second band Ampeg SVP Pro + poweramp, either one or two Peavey TVX 410'', third band Peavey T-Max or Markbass LM II with a custom made sealed 410''-cab, no tweeter.

I am doing 6 - 8 gigs a month.

So sayed Kong

Cheers

Uwe
  20. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Post EQ feed from my SansAmp. When I get my SVT 4 Pro I will mic my cab.