1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Your opinion on Bob Daisley

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by TakeAPebble, Dec 23, 2012.

1. TakeAPebble

TakeAPebble

As a bass player how you find him?

Simon

2. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Could try checking the Yellow Pages, I guess.

3. Poopoutyouridea

Poopoutyouridea

Bob who? I know Bob Dylan, if that helps.

4. Hobobob

Really though, I think he's an excellent bassist and songwriter, and he was an integral part of Ozzy's early solo success.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rocmonster

rocmonster

I remember him recording Ozzie's first two solo albums (which I think were recorded together) and Ozzie promptly fired and defamed him afterwards.

I was impressed by his playing and how his bass cut through the rest of the band. I was definately blown away when I found out he used a Hofner Beatle bass to record most of the tracks - most definately the best bass for metal in 1980...

7. Hobobob

He never really got what was owed him by the Ozzy camp. The second time he sued for royalties, Ozzy just re-recorded the first two albums so the case could be dismissed.

8. TakeAPebble

TakeAPebble

I find him to be one of the bitter truths of Rock, he is a fantastic bass player and songwriter I agree, just sad he became fowl of the Ozzy camp.

I've spoken to him a few times he's a nice guy, and signed me an autograph and gave me his plectrum once :) daren't play with it mind.

Simon

9. mulambo

mulambo

bass hero !!! uriah heep, rainbow, blizzard of ozz, just to name a few of great work from Bob !

10. obimark

obimark

He didn't use a Hofner Beatle bass for most of the tracks at all, I believe he recorded the first Ozzy Album with a Gibson SG, and the second with a good-ole Fender P-Bass. (read a good interview with him.) Maybe the hofner was on one or two songs.

Ozzy and Mrs Ozzy UTTERLY screwed him over!! (and the rest of the dudes on the first album, other than Randy.

As far as bass playing- the playing on the first two Ozzy Albums is some of the BEST rock bass playing PERIOD. Very creative and amazing (still surprised they haven't put out a full album Bass tab book for BLizzard- COme-on Hal Leonard!!)

You can find an old copy of Diary of a Madman Bass tab book, check it out to see just how creative his playing is. He MADE those songs great.

11. FatCity

FatCity

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    A major influence. Without Bob Daisley, Ozzy's solo carreer through the 80's would have sounded much diferent.

I have always loved this bass line as well: (Gates of Babylon- Rainbow)

12. mcm

mcm

A very tasty player. Not worried about how many notes, or his 6 string bass, just laying it down.

13. MiJaKo

MiJaKo

Love a lot of his lines on the first two Ozzy albums. Hate his tone on them though.

14. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

15. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

I lost so much respect for Robert Trujillo for re-recording the bass tracks on the first to Ozzy albums, obviously he was just thinking about the money and not the respect for a fellow bass player that has paved a road in the hard rock and metal scene as a song writer and a bass player.
    It's so funny how Ozzy takes so much credit for him self when people just don't realize that there where other people writing alot of the music he so takes credit for.
    Bob Daisley was one of those song writers, as far as I'm concerned Ozzy and Robert Trujillo ought to be a shamed of themselves and can both piss-off.

16. obimark

obimark

Amen!! Rob Trujillo should NEVER have agreed to do that.

That would be like me re-recording the bass parts for the Cliff Burton Metallica albums.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sorry, but if someone like Ozzy offers me a payday, I'm taking it whether it hurts Bob Daisley's feelings or not ;) Having said that, I thought it was lame, and eventually, so did Ozzy and Sharon, because the anniversary re-release last year restored their original parts.

18. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass A.K.A. Pimp Lucius

I don't blame Robert T at all...Ozzy was going to do that no matter who played on the new tracks. Robert was his go-to guy...and to be honest, may have been unsure of his continued place in that band. Also, a lot of times I hear people at work and at play saying things that, when taken at face value sound completely daft. He may have just dismissed it as one such thing when he agreed to it.

Either way, I'm glad that the new re-re-re-reissued copies have Bob on them. He was playing some great melodic lines...especially when you compare them to Ozzy's newer stuff!

19. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Bob is a great bassist, aside from his work with Ozzy check out Widowmaker, some of my favorite bass tracks ever. Yeah the Oz camp screwed him after he and the Blizzard lifted him up. I turn off the radio if I hear that reworked crap with RT come on.

20. Bubba Ghanoosh

Bubba Ghanoosh

Awesome bassist! He played some really nice lines on Ozzy's first two albums. Especially "Goodbye to Romance" from Blizzard of Ozz.

21. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

It's a shame about what happened to him and many others in the brutal music business,. I never watch shows like "Behind the Music" most of them end bad and you wonder how anybody made any music at all back then.