1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

your opinions, please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pacojas, Dec 9, 2012.

1. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I don't think its a scam but the bass isn't completely original. Even it was all original, it is not worth anywhere near $3,000. Most all original P basses from around that year are selling in $1,400 to $2,200 range.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I'm no vintage Fender expert. But I have been around Fender basses a lot. My gut tells me that if it is a '77 Fender it's not all stock. The knobs for sure. The pick guard should be (most likely) black. If I had to guess (and it's just that, a guess) I would say early 80's at the oldest. Either way it's overpriced.
  4. oddgrowth

oddgrowth

I by no means am an authority on 70's fenders, but I do own a '76 P and a '76 J, and I'll offer a few observations.

1. wassup w/ those knobs? :eyebrow:
    2. though the holes for bridge cover screws are present, the absence of ones for a tug bar/thumbrest are suspect, unless it has a replacement pickguard.
    3. the case is also questionable since he calls it "original".
    molded plastic cases were a product of the 80's, weren't they? the stickers seem pretty 80's to me as well.

that thing obviously has replacement parts, and even if everything was original, wouldn't it be worth about 1/2 of what he's asking?

I defer to the experts, but I'd say the guy is fishin for a sucker.
  5. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

to say it's all original may indicate two things,..

he either doesn't know his stuff or he's trying to fool people.:rollno: