1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Your preferred beer for Chinese food?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jan 18, 2013.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Staff Member Supporting Member

Which beers do you find to be a good match for a meal of Chinese food? I have found this one usually goes pretty well.

[​IMG]

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    The correct answer is Tsingtao!

[​IMG]

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

+1

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Thats right! Though, I dont eat much Chinese food.
    Sapporo if Im having sushi.

6. Pilsners, wheat beers, belgian goldens.

7. Sapporo...it is a world class lager by any standards and is the oldest brand of beer in Japan (or, at least, i believe this to be the case...correct me if i am wrong)

i love it with any oriental food...sushi, chinese, thai...it goes with them all.

i have tried a few brands of chinese beer, and none of them come up to Sapporo.

[​IMG]

8. geeza

geeza

Mar 15, 2009
    Earth, but just barely.
    Disclosures:
    Huh?
  9. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I don't enjoy alcohol and food together.

10. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Whilst I agree with the above two posts, I have had the occasional Belgian White with Chinese, and it's nice.

11. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy Gold Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
  12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I second the Belgian beer.

13. I don't have Chinese restaurant food often (Though I love Chinese fast food.), but when I go to Chinese, Korean and Japanese restaurants, they usually serve up golden wheat style beers. That seems to be the appropriate choice for the food pairing.

14. Tsingtao of course.

15. billgwx

billgwx

Apr 10, 2009
    Centereach NY
    I like IPA's with really hot/spicy Chinese food.

16. I love both IPA's and spicy food, and their bold tastes certainly hold up to one another, but together they're a bit much on my stomach. I prefer a clean pilsner or other yellow fizzy lager with the spicy spice.

That aside, I almost always try to pair food with one of it's native drinks. I believe food and drink naturally evolve together in a region and almost always pair up perfectly that way.

17. pie_man_25

pie_man_25

Jun 28, 2007
    Windsor, ON.
    I've never really considered beer with chinese food, more often than not I only have water or tea to drink at a chinese restaurant. I'm not too fond of tea or any hot beverage, but when in rome.

18. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I'll join the Tsingtao club.

[​IMG]

I like tea or coca-cola more though.

19. Right, whatever sort of food you are eating, tends to pair well with whatever is traditional for that style/culture. I wouldn't order a German beer with tacos, I'd get a Cervesa. Gotta have red wine with pasta, too.

Btw, though I'm not much of a hop head, IPAs are good with jalapeno burgers!

20. kanonfodr

kanonfodr Supporting Member

Kirin Ichiban for me, but guess I gotta give Sapporo a shot next time we're out.

Peace,
    Greg