1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Your recommendation for inexpensive Bass-worthy recording mic

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by SBassman, Feb 8, 2014.

1. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    I need to get some soundclips recorded asap.

I'm equipment challenged, as far as doing it well.

I'm not going to record direct. I'm going to record the room with me going through an amp dialed flat.
    I'm not going to multi track. I'm just going to play a drum rhythm on the computer, play along through my amp, and capture what's in the room.

What mic will help me capture the bass well, without spending a ton of money?

The two options I am considering are:

1. Samson Go Condensor Mic
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24344106

2. Zoom H1 field recorder.

What do you think? What else would you recommend?
    Thanks.
  2. SBassman

Disclosures:
    Cmon - don't be shy. :D
  3. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

You haven't really defined "inexpensive." But it does sound like you'd prefer an all-in-one unit that does not require separate mic / preamp / recording unit. I'd think "bigger picture" here and look for something that can be useful not just for the bass but for recording a whole group.

I'd recommend the Zoom H6 and use its XY stereo mic to capture your bass or anything else you want to record. The quality is excellent. It's something that will be useful for years. If you get an el cheapo solution, you'll be wanting to upgrade before you know it. The Zoom H6 does high quality recordings. Price is about $400. Highly recommended!

Here's my review, including sound files and videos.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f43/zoom-h6-studio-quality-live-performance-recordings-1017560/

[​IMG]
  4. SBassman

Disclosures:
    Thanks.

I'm looking for the 50 to 100 dollar range. :cool:
  5. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm Supporting Member

AKG P2 seems to get good reviews around here, about $100 new.
  6. jamminology101

jamminology101 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    When in doubt...the good ol sure sm57 works pretty well and are cheap....
  7. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Here's a review -

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f203/akg-p2-review-1022347/

I'm in the market also and I think I'm going to pick up one of these and a Z-Bar.

After re-reading your posts, it looks like you're after a stand-alone recording device, and I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions for that, sorry.
  8. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

The H1 is a fantastic standalone recording device, IME. We use it at practice all the time while we are writing, since we can easily pull the files and just mail them to everybody for listening reference. It's got a really good sound and it's easy to use.

Keep in mind - it is what it is - meaning that you shouldn't be expecting studio-quality recording from it. It does really good reference or demo recording, but if you want more than that - you need some actual equipment.
  9. strummer21

strummer21

Zoom H1 should work well for you. In a pinch, with some trial and error on placement, an iphone voice memo recording can sound decent too.