Your take on being alone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ziltoid, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

I was just wondering how you felt about being alone.

Do you find it to be a state of solitude or loneliness? Or in other words, is it positive or negative to you?

I'd like to get individual perspectives on this, I think it could lead to interesting discussions.
  2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

It could go either way, depending on circumstances. Sometimes I enjoy being alone, and others not so much.
  3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Depends on where in your life you're at I'd say. When I was younger and single, there were times when it outright sucked. Granted, I've always been a little bit of a loner so I may have been a little more comfortable with it than others but given the choice of 'alone" vs not, I'd rather not.
    but now..? Shoot, when the wife takes the kids to visit relatives or something, I'm in a state of BLISS.
    ***BLISS***
    for a little while. :)
  4. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

alone as in not in a relationship or alone as in "i need to be alone"

without a relationship is maddening to me. I require attention like an infant.

"i need to be alone" well, who doesn't every now and then, good to clear your head and enjoy yourself.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nutso42

nutso42

I enjoy living alone, but having plenty of friends I can visit frequently.

Basically, I'm a very social person, but I like having the option to escape and be in total silence at home.
  7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I am enjoying the single life right now. I date every now and then but usually just prefer being on my own
  8. Marial

Marial Proud Papa Supporting Member

I'm happily married but I definitely like my alone time. I'm kind of cat-like in that respect.
  9. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

I love being by myself. After twelve years of either living with roommates or girlfriends (WHY DO THEY HAVE TO MOVE IN WITH ME???), I'm about ready to buy a house in the sticks and become a hermit.

Well, maybe not, but I like my alone time.
  10. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

I thought about narrowing the question in a way or the other but I felt like leaving the question open to interpretation ;)
  11. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I value my solitude, but I don't get much. My life right now is very full. To get alone time usually means getting up early in the morning. I love it when the house and nieghborhood are quiet.
  12. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

Solitude....positive....I have time to think and work on my projects without distraction.
  13. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Or taking really long poops. Just sayin.
  14. slobake

knock, knock "Are you almost done in there?" :spit:
    I can be up for an hour but as soon as hit the seat it seems like she's up and knocking on the door.
  15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

I love being alone. I also love being around people.
  16. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Timely topic for me.
    My ex and I divorced about a year and a half ago after 25 years of marriage. The kids are all grown and have their own life's.
    At first I enjoyed the solitude. I could come and go as I pleased, play my bass as much as I wanted as loud as I want. Ride my Harley when and where I wanted.
    In the last couple of months it has started to sink in that I am truly alone and it scares me. Depression sets in at times. I do not want to be in a relationship and I do not want to jump into one just so I am not alone.
    I try and keep myself busy but at night when I find myself trying to find something to occupy myself with. I can play my bass until my hands cramp, tidy things up a little but there isn't much to do, wash a dish a fork and a knife, wash some cloths but I did that the night before last, channel surf the TV and TB looking for something to watch until I am bored or it is time to hit the sac.
    That is the worst time. Alone in bed. The bed is cold and the silence is deafening. Scenes of my life when my children were young and we were a happy family flash through my mind and bring tears to my eyes. That is when the deep loneliness sets in.
    I quit drinking 30 years ago. I try do deal with with the loneliness the same way I dealt with the bottle, one day at a time. The problem is, after setting the bottle down, every day got better.
    I don't know what I will do or if it will ever get better. All I can do it take it one day at a time.

and hope I meet a really cool hot rich divorcee :D
  17. Pauler1976

Pauler1976

As an only child and an introvert, I really like my alone time and prefer alone time. But enjoy the company of others as well.
  18. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Definitely positive, for I am solitary by nature and could never live with another person. I'm not totally antisocial, but I like having the luxury of being able to decide how much time I want to spend around other people.
  19. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I enjoy my alone time. I also enjoy my time with friends and family. Just depends on my mood. As for being alone or being in a relationship, both have their own pros and cons. I love being able to do whatever, whenever, but I also enjoy knowing that there's someone I can always come home to. As far as I can tell, whatever feels right at the time is probably the right thing for you to do.
  20. slobake

Sorry to hear this HD, I hope things get better for you. I have been staying clean and sober for about the same time as you. Is it okay if I pray for you? I mean not right here, but quietly when I am alone. :p
  21. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I can be alone in a room full of people.

There are times when I want to be alone.

There are also times I want be left alone.

I'm really a fairly gregarious person, but somethings are best dealt with in a solitary fashion.