Your Tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bachlover, Mar 11, 2014.

1. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

After reading through the Precision/Jazz thread recently posted, I was surprised to find that most players who own both's go to sound lies in the P. I just bought one, put flats on it for that classic tone, and found, after years of J playing, that the predominantly low end sound is taking some getting used to. I'm interested to hear how other basser's tone have morphed over time. I started out with no treble, everyone used flats then, and the predominant bass sound was bass. To be honest, at that time I was far less confident in my playing, and found I could hide better in those low frequency reeds. :bag: After picking it up again in '96 I found that rounds were the string du jour, and that bassers were finding a more distinctive, personal tone. I found mine by turning the bridge pup up full (before only the neck) as well as the treble (before it was off). Amp pretty much 12:00 for bass/treble tones, midrange past that. What's your tonal history?
  2. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

For the record, I think a lot of people are like me in feeling like a J sounds better when playing alone, but a P sounds better in a band mix. That is why I would consider a P tone my go to tone over a J tone.
  3. chungweishan

chungweishan

Since I'm pretty new with bass compared to others here, and have a limited amount of basses, I do have specific tones I prefer.

I keep my basses around 80% Neck 20% Bridge pickup blend.

I tend to fingerpluck between the neck and neck-pickup for a more mid-range sound. I move my hand near the bridge whenever I want a more defined treble sound depending on each song. I rarely mess with the knobs. I also have a tendency for muting strings with my left-hand like Rocco Prestia for that more percussive funk sound.

I prefer my 4-string for slap and whenever I use a pick, as the strings (which I don't remember what they are) have more snap to them since they're lighter than my 5-string.

I just got a 6-string Fretless, and today plan on restringing new flatwound strings to keep a mellow sound.

I prefer relying on technique for different tones, and keep the bass and amp settings constant close to flat, only slight increases when needed. The songs really dictate what I should do. Unfortunately, the rehearsal space for my band is small so it's difficult to really figure out the most optimal settings to cut through the mix.
  4. simenandreas

simenandreas

I have always been a jazz guy.. That tight punch you get from the bridge pickup combined with the neck in killer! But the p sounds great with a pick and/or playing up high. Like from the A-string and above
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh! Supporting Member

I've played Js the vast majority of my "career," though I've toyed with the P some, especially lately. I just haven't played one that I like as much as my J. (Exceptions: a 1975 model and the newer hand-stained series ... wow).

As for my tonal history, I used to use both pups full-blast and scoop the hell out of the mids--my amp had an 11-band EQ, and it was pretty much a smiley face. My guitarist used a Les Paul into a Big Muff Pi. So, we were apparently anti-mid-range back in the day.

Now I scoop some of my high-mids and keep in a good bunch of lo-mids. My 700RB-ii amp settings are:

Contour: off
    Presence: 9:00
    High: 1:00
    Hi-Mid: 11:00
    Lo-Mid: 2:30
    Low: 1:00-1:30
    Boost: 9:00

Pre- and Post-EQ volumes are about the same.

The main difference between me and probably most J players with that same setup, though, is that 100% of the time I solo my neck pup. I don't even really need a bridge pup (though a J would look really weird without it, no?). I have no trouble standing right in the sweet bassy part of a mix. If I want some tonal variety, more bite or sparkle or whatever, I've got it one knob away.
  7. sotua

sotua

I think I've moved from full jazz to series-jazz (e.g. S1 switch engaged).