1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

youtube demos / MXR M80

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by scottfeldstein, Nov 21, 2012.

1. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I'm thinking about picking up an MXR M80 Bass DI+. I'm looking for a preamp/DI with a good EQ and usable overdrive. Just a little something to get me a slightly overdriven rock sound. The MXR seems to have all the features I want and it's significantly cheaper than most of its competitors (exception: the Hartke Bass Attack).

So I'm pretty much decided. But here's my complaint: how come there aren't better youtube demonstrations of this pedal?

The MXR one has dude playing with a muted pick for a good chunk of the demo. (Typically one would have to have a music store's resident guitar player do the bass demos to get that particular kind of uselessness.) Aram Bedrosian has a fun time with chords in his demo. Chords. Seriously. One genius thinks it's a good idea to show us the sounds of the M80...as heard through his VT Bass pedal. There's the Czechoslovakian dude who apparently thinks the best way to explore the overdrive function is to completely dime it and then switch it on and off for us.

Ok, some of the video on the M80 isn't too bad. But compared to some other pedals I've researched using youtube, it's pretty dreadful.

I have half a mind to make a video of my own once I pick up the M80.
  2. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Spector Owner Club #372 Supporting Member

i used to have an M-80 a few years back. it was a very useful tool, and i've considered picking one up again, especially to use as a preamp for my upright bass, and just for recording in general. The preamp in my opinion sounded pretty great, and i liked the distortion sound. it has alot of tweakability with the blend knob on there. i think its worth checking out for sure. i've also tried the sansamp BDDI and the hartke bass attack, and i prefered the MXR to both. but keep in mind it is all preference. some people dont like the M-80 tone wise, especially the color switch. all of them are great choices though. i think it terms of versatility the MXR is the best bet.
  3. behndy

behndy

lol. i'd say.... there's not that many good demos of it.... because it doesn't sound good? it's almost as bad as the dirt on the Sansamp stuff.

BLEGH.
  4. kokoshmusun

kokoshmusun

I love the color button but I can't get used to the overdrive, sounds a bit cheesy. But I've noticed that it sounds a lot better in a band mix than alone at home. I haven't found a better preamp that is widely available.
  5. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    I got a M80 for the same reason... It works great!... Victor Broden has a few Demos with his MXR that are helpful and turned my head to get one.
    I had the BBDI but it was not getting what i wanted out of it.. So i got the VT bass and like that much more.. BUT it adds too much character to the sound. When all i wanted was ON onto p of My sound. So i got the MXR... The MXR DIST is a little toooo sizzly for my taste... SO i guess the EQ could touch that up... overall its an OK pedal...

I just got the Xotic BB Preamp and working with this now to get what i want. I liked teh sound that Brian Beller was geting with Steve Vai in his live gigs.. Emailed Brian and he said he used the Xoyoc BB Preamp..
    Im doing a new albim for an old 70s band Point Blank next month.. Ill use my REDDI, and a line with the Xotoc BB Pre, the MXR M80 and a Mic on my 115 uber.. Well see ho it works out...

But what i like about the M80 is the dual channel with the COLOR select on the DIST channel.. I only wish you could bypass the 3 band EQ at will.. Then it would be perfect. BTW the Battery lasts a loooong Time in teh M80.. A long time
  6. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

I can send some mp3s if this helps.... pm me if interested.

I own 20+ DIs... the M80 is on the board... flexible... predictable... humless... easy to navigate.

The biggest gripe some have is the distortion...
  7. scottfeldstein

I just need a DI for recording and something that's going add a bit of analog grit + an EQ modification to give me a passable rock sound. My Source Audio Multiwave distortion is awesome...but sounds very digital and isn't really the tool for getting that standard rock tone.
  8. scottfeldstein

Yeah, I'm interested! Got a soundcloud account? Maybe you could put up one or three for us all to hear! :)
  9. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

I'm a dropboxer.

-----

Dumb question... what software are you recording to (or device) ... you may be able to rewire or VST and get a better final outcome (with better control)

-----

RECORDING....
    I commonly record at a $$$$$$$$$$ studio with $$$$$$$$$$ staff.... they've never had issues with signal to noise... the engineers like that they can look at the device and know how to tweek it (no confusing knobs)

It worked especially well playing a cheap pbass w/tapes direct to protools for a 60s band.

Truely... I've never had the M80 rejected... .. (insert choke here)... I've had a Countryman 85 rejected for being too thin/cold.... may be a mismatch between the Bogart Bass - Countryman - Trident - Protools

I have "nicer" options.. at the street level I keep the M80 on the board... it's cheap when stolen (about $65 used)

---

Forgot the other gripe... battery door is brittle.
  10. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

There are "better" DIs.. they will not be the same combo of affordable, flexible, cheap and durable
  11. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

I made a demo on my pedalboard and this was one of the pedals I demoed ill go grab the link now
  12. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

13. scottfeldstein

Very helpful, thanks Matt. I can't wait to get my hands on one.
  14. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

No problem, glad I could help :)
  15. andysick

andysick Supporting Member

+1. I have the same experience. Mine is on the board and color always on. Just makes every thing more alive. Never use the distortion.

16. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

When the amps are on, the MXR is too - always.

It adds a lot of fullness to the sound and coupled with a Boss "60s Fuzz" I can get the same sound as the 2000 Lb Bee that was used on Marty Robbins bass in 'Don't worry About Me" so I'd say it's pretty good.

The Sansamp couldn't get anywhere near that sound.

I'd say it also is important to take the sound of your amp into consideration too - as I like the old school stuff, I feel I need the MXR - but for a sterile and more slappy sound you might not want it.

I like the 'Get Outta Jail' button on the MXR too - if you are tweaking and messing with the settings, you can just hit one button and get a very decent legacy preset sound out of it.
  17. scottfeldstein

For those of you who aren't using the distortion channel, what are you doing with the EQ? And are you using the "color" button? If the EQ is flat and the color button is off, all you have is the (potential) extra gain off the clean volume knob...
  18. scottfeldstein

At home in my apartment...

bass > pedal board > cheap mixer > mic input of my macbook pro > garageband

When I'm out at the band's basement studio...

bass > amp EQ +DI > REAPER mixing desk
  19. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

I boost bass and treble a tad and pull back the mids a tiny bit and that gives me what I'm looking for
  20. scottfeldstein

With or without the color button engaged?