1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

youtube effects demo makers

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cheezewiz, Feb 14, 2013.

1. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

I've been searching various effect demos on youtube. I have some advice for those that make these videos.

SHUT THE HELL UP!

I want to hear how the pedal sounds. Not listen to you babble about what the gain knob does.

That is all.

Thanks.

2. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

I wouldn't have put it quite like that .. but I agree with you.

3. rickenbaker

rickenbaker

I agree for the most part. I mean some pedals have very simple and self explanatory controls. Other pedals that are more esoteric require more explanation. Then I'm fine with them explaining the controls because that can be confusing if you've never read up on the pedal before

4. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Same. I prefer videos showing the impact of different settings with the pedal. THAT'S useful. The rest, I can read about here or dowload the manual or whatever.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

geee, I hope this isn't about my Orbital videos. I did talk a lot expaining the interface, but running thru the fx I barely talked at all.

7. IPYF

IPYF

Talk all you want. Some people on the other side of the coin want to hear anecdotal evidence or hear about the features.

But if you're making a demo and you're going to flap your mouth a lot you need to put time links in the description to the part/s where you start testing. That way people who don't want to listen to you talk can jump to the bit they came for.

Also, I'm a bit confused by the 'why' of unboxing videos.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Gadgetjunky....I haven't seen yours, so definitely not. I agree that SOME complicated pedals require explanation. 3 knob overdrives do not! :)

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

And please,please go through all of the settings of the pedal and not just the ones you like some of us don't dime out every pedal.

10. Yurtra

Yurtra

Your demos are great. Source Audio pedals are extremely flexible with a lot of controllable, interactive parameters. Grasping their depth really does require some explanation—as well as frequent references to their user manuals!

11. RoeyHaviv

RoeyHaviv

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Vigier guitars, Pigtronix Effects
    Like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZUgVuPrMIE

:smug:

12. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Thanks. I've watched a lot of demos too and wanted to do like mjac28 suggests. Twisting all the knobs. I put my sample riff on a loop and turned as many knobs as I could in as many combinations as I could. I also separated the videos into small sections so you don't have to sit stuff you don't want to hear. I was also really concerned that the audio was clear.

13. bludog

bludog Supporting Member

I'm a BIG fan of the loop method. Wish all proper demo videos used it.

14. RoeyHaviv

RoeyHaviv

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Vigier guitars, Pigtronix Effects
    I like it too, but it's tricky with some effects, Some react to your dynamics and tilt you to play them differently.

15. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

I'd like to see more pedals get sampled on a semi normal effects board and not just solo. Helps get an idea on how well it plays with others.

16. noermaen

noermaen

and please: stop playing fancy slap stuff if you gonna demo some overdrive pedals. it sounds like crap!

17. Klausklaerwerk

Klausklaerwerk

haha i agree with everyone in this thread :D
    soooo much speech in demo videos! it sucks! and there is that guy who is playing that same slap/funk bass line in about 1000 demo videos. I HATE IT!

18. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

All points already mentioned aside, I would add that a demo of the fx in a band setting would be a big plus. Even if you're just playing along to a backing. FX solo can sound badass on their own but totally fail in a band setting, and this would be a relatively easy way to separate the wheat from the chaff pre-purchase.

19. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

One more request. Unless you're doing a cover of something, please don't use camera audio. Explaining the nuances of a pedal for 5 minutes only to have it be drowned out by fretboard clacking and lacking any semblance of bass or tone is a waste of our time and yours. If you're going to bother going that far and reviewing something it's a really tiny step to DI in.

20. ryansalmond

ryansalmond

+1

And similarly, if you're using a mic of any kind, record at a loud enough volume that string/fret noise is drowned out. If it's so quiet that we can hear string/fret noise, it sounds like there's some kind of awful-sounding clean blend happening.

21. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have many complaints, but the one I'll mention in this instance :p is when pedal demo-ers ramble on about the "bulletproof construction" of the Hammond box, the "real true bypass so none of your precious tone is lost", and other standard-issue features that do not distinguish the pedal from its nearest competitors.

Just say "standard metal box, 3PDT footswitch" and MOVE ON.

These same demo-ers tend to focus on really dumb aspects of the other controls, too, like "look how high the gain goes! Here's me noodling at one gain level, and now more gain, and now max gain, and I'm going to stay here for the remainder of the demo".