YouTube: Ornithology - Bass (Melody / Walking Bass / Improvisation)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mr. BassmanPT, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Hope you like it. I am still learning so be nice :)

These bebop sax tunes are awesome!

2. christianharger

christianharger

nicely done! I like this tune.

for the solo section, I like how you play off the rhythmic motifs from the head, but maybe try to develop some of your own rhythmic ideas as well.

something that helped me out a ton with bop soloing and learning the language and vocabulary is the Charlie Parker Omnibook. it contains his more popular tunes and some of his more famous solos transcribed; and it's even available in bass clef!

keep swingin'.
  3. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

thanks for your comments.

you have a good ear. first improvisation chorus i used the same rhythm from the head.

i am still new to the bebop style and will surely try to develop my own style.

i already have the parker omnibook in bass clef, will use it for sure. regards
  4. christianharger

christianharger

yeah man, it's really tough! I'm definitely still on my journey toward this, but I think the goal is to learn the bebop language incredibly well and then slowly start steering the ship toward a nice middle ground between classic bebop Parker licks and your own voice. like learning the correct grammar and traditional vocabulary of a different language, in hopes to eventually learn the phrases and slang that will best apply to you and sound like you personally.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

It is fun by being tough. At least I enjoy it this way :)

And you nailed it. Parker is a really good school. As is Coltrane.
  7. Nick303

Nick303

Absolutely lovely work mate, I've been working Ornithology for a long time and your work up the neck has really inspired me.
  8. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

really? i feel flatered by your comment although i am still a rookie in this bebop stuff.

regards