YouTube Tube Head Comparison

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jan 30, 2013.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

I came across this video today and thought it was really cool. There are no SVTs, Mesas, Fenders, or Sunns in the lot, so not a full comparison. :D But still cool, nonethless. My personal favorites were the EBS and the Marshall JCM 800. Apologies if this has been posted before.

2. chucko58

chucko58

Disclosures:
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I'm skeptical about the value of tone comparisons on videos with heavy lossy data compression, and heard through small computer speakers with no bass response. I'd want high-quality MP3 or AAC through headphones to even begin to get an idea of how an amp sounds.

But that's just me.

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

It is not just the file compression, although a good point. It is also the quality of the mikes used, the placement of those mikes, the recording device's A/D converter and sample rate used before file conversion. Then you also have the D/A conversion at the playback point.

4. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Just watched...certainly an imperfect way to test stuff, but hey, the dude went through a lot of trouble to give folks a basic idea of these amps, so I give him big props for that!

Based on his tests, I preferred the Hiwatt on the blind test which confirms my love of those things in general :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Haha, I know this wasn't a perfectly audiophile quality comparison. I just thought it was a cool thing the poster did to check out some cool heads. And yeah, I dug the Hiwatt as well.

7. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

ya... but every amp in this vid is recorded with the same mic, has the same compression, and is heard on the same bad speakers. Yes, it is an imperfect test, but all things being equal, ya know. It's a nice way to compare the amps against each other, and get a general idea of what's up.

Here is another thread on this vid...
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/heads-up-tube-amp-comparison-6-amps-898389/

8. bb5000

bb5000

There are also differences in tone-stack design, which would produce different frequency responses with all controls at "12 o'clock" on those amps.

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Ahh, dagnaybit, I hate to repost. I was hoping I posted something that nobody else did. :D