You've Probably Been Asked This Before, But...

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson' started by BassNoob1, Apr 1, 2011.

1. BassNoob1

BassNoob1

You seem to play the electric bass like a guitar. I've wondered why you don't play guitar. Is there a certain advantage you find in the bass when playing chord changes?

I'm not trying to offend you or tell you what instrument you should play, I'm just wondering if there's a specific reason, or if bass is just what you play and you just don't want to change.

Cheers! :)

2. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Media:
    It's better for slap metal. Besides, Fieldy played bass.

3. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

BassNoob1,

I get this question from time to time....I appreciate your respectful tone. Thanks.

1. I've been a BASS playing bass player for 30 years. I definitely can and do play that role THE MAJORITY OF THE TIME....and frankly I do it extremely well. For some reason, people see me play chord melody and they think that's all I do....then I get this question. Fair enough...But playing the root & 5th and locking with the bass drum is sacred and always has been....Again, I've done this for 30 years! :)

2. I play the bass like a guitar "at times" because I CAN!!!! To be honest, the instrument is "screaming" to be played this way...ESPECIALLY the 6-string!!!

3. I'm very careful to always do it in the proper context musically...ALWAYS!!

4. FWIW I've learned to play BASS.....Bass lines w/Chords simultaneously....single note solos....Chord melody...and at times I can keep bass, chords and melody going at the same time.

The secret is to use these skills in the proper musical context...And that's what I always strive to do. Make sense???

Some people like what I do....others don't. That's just the way it is when you play, record and put it out there.

I hope this answers your question!!

4. BassNoob1

BassNoob1

I've never really thought of number 2, you're right, it kind of is. You really do bring up some great points. And I mean no disrespect or anything, I've just heard a lot of things like, "The first time I heard him I thought for sure he was a guitar player!" I really do enjoy listening to your music, it's different, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Just the opposite, I love hearing things that are different from the norm. :)

I've actually tried to play chords on my bass, but I haven't been very successful. I play 4-string, though, so that probably has at least something to do with it. You really are a great bassist though, keep swingin'. :)

5. Register to disable this ad