1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

You've Probably Been Asked This Before, But...

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson' started by BassNoob1, Apr 1, 2011.

1. BassNoob1

BassNoob1

You seem to play the electric bass like a guitar. I've wondered why you don't play guitar. Is there a certain advantage you find in the bass when playing chord changes?

I'm not trying to offend you or tell you what instrument you should play, I'm just wondering if there's a specific reason, or if bass is just what you play and you just don't want to change.

Cheers! :)

2. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

It's better for slap metal. Besides, Fieldy played bass.

3. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

BassNoob1,

I get this question from time to time....I appreciate your respectful tone. Thanks.

1. I've been a BASS playing bass player for 30 years. I definitely can and do play that role THE MAJORITY OF THE TIME....and frankly I do it extremely well. For some reason, people see me play chord melody and they think that's all I do....then I get this question. Fair enough...But playing the root & 5th and locking with the bass drum is sacred and always has been....Again, I've done this for 30 years! :)

2. I play the bass like a guitar "at times" because I CAN!!!! To be honest, the instrument is "screaming" to be played this way...ESPECIALLY the 6-string!!!

3. I'm very careful to always do it in the proper context musically...ALWAYS!!

4. FWIW I've learned to play BASS.....Bass lines w/Chords simultaneously....single note solos....Chord melody...and at times I can keep bass, chords and melody going at the same time.

The secret is to use these skills in the proper musical context...And that's what I always strive to do. Make sense???

Some people like what I do....others don't. That's just the way it is when you play, record and put it out there.

I hope this answers your question!!

4. BassNoob1

BassNoob1

I've never really thought of number 2, you're right, it kind of is. You really do bring up some great points. And I mean no disrespect or anything, I've just heard a lot of things like, "The first time I heard him I thought for sure he was a guitar player!" I really do enjoy listening to your music, it's different, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Just the opposite, I love hearing things that are different from the norm. :)

I've actually tried to play chords on my bass, but I haven't been very successful. I play 4-string, though, so that probably has at least something to do with it. You really are a great bassist though, keep swingin'. :)

5. Register to disable this ad