Yowza! Eastwood Sidejack Medium-Scale Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by selowitch, Mar 5, 2014.

1. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

2. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, I want one so much. Too bad I just spend about exactly that amount on an amp today :(

Hopefully it will be a production model and not only a limited run. They really need a Sidejack bass (not just the bass VI), that Hi-Flyer is just not nearly as nice as their Sidejacks. Their Moserite Style P90s are just amazing.
  3. selowitch

Oddly, I don't see this bass on the Eastwood Guitars website yet.
  4. nshuman

Media:
    Albums:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. selowitch

Aw, nuts. So they are all going to be gone soon.
  7. saltymonkey

saltymonkey Supporting Member

I just bought one. So great that they made it in a 32" scale. I had a 15% discount card from buying a Sidejack IV a while back and Mike let me apply it to this Bass. So it was $679 instead of $799. So glad I waited to use it for this. I'll post pics and a review after I get it.
  8. selowitch

Fantastic. I'm excited for you. How does one purchase this?
  9. nshuman

Media:
    Albums:
    There is a paypal button on the page I linked to.
  10. Immigrant

Immigrant

That is a beautiful and cool bass!

Not that I'm in a position to buy a bass right now or anything, but I don't understand the thinking in producing a bass in that price range as a limited run.

There are similar Mosrite knockoffs labeled Aria on eBay for less money. Did Eastwood pick up a few bodies and necks? Maybe fully assembled sans headstock decals and is re-selling them?

None of those question take away from how cool that bass is. I just don't get the limited run thing.
  11. saltymonkey

I'm pretty sure that this first run is a limited color run and it'll eventually be available as a production instrument in other colors later. They've already used this body style on several guitars and a bass VI.
  12. nshuman

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, my guess is that they are gauging the market and may bring it on as a standard product if they sell well, but probably in some of their more standard colours.

Also, the body is clearly their usual Sidejack body so this is not just taking stuff off ebay. Also, Mike posted in the past that he will build custom basses for people if they agree to paying upfront for part of the run which then gets refunded when the special run sells off. So, this could be the case, or, again, they are just gauging the market.
  13. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

Mike at My Rare Guitars may have had these made on special order just for his shop. Jerry at Jerry's Lefty guitars has done that a few times, with Eastwood and other companies (Duesenberg, for instance). IIRC, 12 pieces is the usual minimum order for several companies - including Eastwood. Of course, if those 12 go out the door quickly enough, it's a pretty safe bet that Eastwood will take notice. And, just maybe, offer it as a lefty, too. I would be very tempted. :)
  14. selowitch

What a unique and beautiful instrument!
  15. saltymonkey

You know that Mike at My Rare Guitars is also the President and Founder of Eastwood.
  16. selowitch

That explains a lot. :)
  17. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Awesome! Looking forward to your review and pics.
  18. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

I sort of had a suspicion, but wasn't sure. Guess that means "Eastwood" will know right away if there's a demand for these, right? :D
  19. saltymonkey

Ok so I got the Bass yesterday. First the good. These pickups are outstanding! Really really great. Super punchy, warm, thick and articulate. They hit a home run with these. They kill. If you play rock you will absolutely love the tone of this bass right out of the box. First note, instant smile. Thick heavy powerful rock goodness. I was not prepared for how great they are. Either alone or together. But both pups together are slammin'. Was playing through a Mesa Prodigy and Berg AE210. Added some dirt (Greedtone into a Wampler Euphoria) and it just soared. Crunchy awesomeness. and Also the neck is really good. Especially considering it's an $800 bass. The 32" scale is great. Where some short scales loose a bit of punch and definition from a 34" scale this does not at all. I really like it. 1 5/8" at the nut, not too thick not too thin. It's got a wide flat feel to it as you go up the neck and is fast and racy. Satin finish on the neck is great. Fretwork is nice too. No sharp fret ends. The red sparkle finish looks beautiful. Ok now the not so good. There was a small piece of masking tape under the clearcoat on the binding on the lower horn. Very tiny but there. I picked at it to scrape it off so of course the clear coat came of with it. About 1.5" long and 1/8" wide. Also the neck pocket is kind of large. They could do better in that dept. I don't expect a super tight pocket like on a +$1000 instrument but it could be tighter than this one. The Bass took a good shot during delivery and the neck arrived way off center. The G string was at the very edge of the fret board. I first thought the bridge was put on wrong. I loosened the neck bolts and centered it. This would have been much easier had the pocket not been oversized. Once I had the neck centered it played great. The neck relief and action were perfect. No other adjustment necessary. Back to more good. Mike Robinson is an awesome guy. Customer service second to none. The kind you get when you buy a $3k bass. Quick responses to emails. He's all over it. He offered me a replacement since i wasn't happy with the clearcoat issue and the fact that the neck got so torqued and knocked over to one side. Including return UPS call tags for the one I have. Or a $150 refund if I wanted to keep this one. I chose to replace it because I love the tone and 32" scale and the missing strip of clear coat would bother me so he shipped me another today. I'm interested to see how the neck pocket on this one is. So thats it for now. I'll report back in when I get the new one. Again the tone of this bass is stupid good. I was shocked. And the neck is fun and racy. There's nothing else I have that sounds like it which is really cool. There were three left today of the original twelve when he emailed me back about getting a replacement. And one of those is on it's way to me. After I get it I'll ask him when the production version is going to come out. I think they have a winner here for sure.
  20. selowitch

Great info, saltymonkey. Hope you're happy with the replacement. I wonder if drilling threaded inserts into the neck would help compensate for the slightly-too-large neck pocket?

I am enviously trying to figure out how I might afford one of these awesome basses.
  21. saltymonkey

The neck was actually stable once i got it centered and bolted back on. But threaded inserts couldn't hurt. Shimming the sides of the neck pocket with masking tape is a good trick too.