1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Yup! I would love to be in a band with this guy

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Strat Hater, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

This is a local Kijiji add I saw today...

Hello! My name is Christopher Gast, and I am a sh**ty musician looking for other sh**ty (or talented) musicians. I play the guitar, trombone, and banjo, and I also sing badly. I'm looking for people to hang out and jam with (preferably 18-26-ish, but I'm flexible on that). I don't care what kind of music you're into or what you play, or even if you're good. I just wanna hang out with new people and make music. If you want, we can make an organized thing out of it and get a band together, or if not, whatever, we can just make noise

Oh, and if this helps or whatever some of my favorite bands/inspiration-type artists are:
    Los Campesinos!
    David Bowie
    Sam Roberts
    The Front Bottoms
    Owen Pallett
    Tegan & Sara
    Radiohead

2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I don't see anything wrong with this ad. The poster made it plain they didn't care about forming a band one way or the other, so why would someone serious about forming a working band bother to reply?

If I was looking for work I'd pass this ad just like I do the ads that are asking for metal/christian musicians, etc., the kind of stuff I have no interest in becoming involved in.

3. verycoolname

verycoolname

Actually, I don't think it's that bad. He sounds like a chill, non-judgmental guy who just wants to have fun. Much better than the "MUST BE A PRO LEVEL PLAYER WITH PRO LEVEL GEAR LOOKING TO MAKE IT BIG!!!!1!!" advertisements I've seen before on Craigslist. If I was looking to jam I might hit him up.

4. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

I don't think the OP is saying it's bad like you guys seem to be inferring.
    It's hard to distinguish between sarcasm and everthing else over the internet...
    :rolleyes:

And heck yeah I'd play with that guy.
    Seems like a legit dude.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DannyBob

DannyBob

If he was in the UK I would go jam

7. SnowCal

SnowCal

Good ad. Says what he wants. Is honest about his skill level. And is honest about the fact that's he's not delusional about making it. Sounds like it could be fun. This beats your average craigslist ad.

8. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I like the fact that the person who placed the ad was honest but I wouldn't waste my time with him.

9. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

Sounds like my kind of musician.

10. SnowCal

SnowCal

I imagine he doesn't expect to jam with a guy who has a half-dozen endorsements.

11. ZenG

ZenG

He says he doesn't care what kind of music you play....but his inspiration list puts him in a certain camp right away.....

Bring plenty of weed and cabs with at least 4 25 inch woofers...

12. chuckNC

chuckNC

Not specifally directed at this particular guy, because I don't know him. But I've known really good musicians who understimate their abilities to an extreme. And their opposite: the total hack. Completely at home onstage, merrily butchering whatever piece of music they are playing.

13. VarlotTheHarlot

VarlotTheHarlot

14. Gundecker

Gundecker

He does sound cool. I went to jam on guitars with a friend and after getting there he tells me there's a "guy from CL who says he can play anything" on his way over. Fella arrived with a GibsonLP and a low end line6 combo. My friend sets up some drum tracks and I get on bass as three guitars are a bit much. Even on basic two and three chord A,D,E type stuff he was all tangled fingers and fiddling with the amp. On top of that he brought his 10 yo son who was all over the map and yelling "Daddy yer much better than theses guys!"
    Pretty awkward 30 minutes until my friend got a phone call "ahem cough" and we called it quits.
    So yeah, understatement is good.

15. BassCliff

BassCliff

16. WashburnAB95

WashburnAB95

yea always underpromise but over perform

17. Max Bogosity

Max Bogosity Supporting Member

I ran an ad similar to that one when I (re)started playing a few years ago. Got more phone calls than I could believe, more than the number of bands I thought existed in the area.

Humility seems to be very marketable.

18. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin

I answered an ad similar to that and started jamming with a couple great guys. We put another, similar ad on Craigslist when we were looking for a singer. Three out of the four of us are still playing together. The fourth, the original guy, started a restaurant. The singer brought us our drummer. Sometimes, being a bit of a wise acre and being brutally honest about your own shortcomings really works and works well. Or maybe I just got lucky.

Anyway, I would absolutely give that guy a call.

19. bassinplace

bassinplace

I see nothing wrong with the ad. I wouldn't reply to it, because I want to play with musicians that will push me to become a better musician myself, but not everyone who plays music is into it for that. This guy makes it clear what his intentions are.

20. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

I find the responses funnier than the (obviously ironic) CL ad. Whooooosh!!!:rolleyes:

21. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

That's why we're here. We aim to please! :D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff