Zakk Wylde...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ZenG, Feb 23, 2014.

1. ZenG

ZenG

Watched him do a performance on PBS ;last night...it was a birthday tribute to the memory of Les Paul.

I have never seen a guy get that kind of sound out of an acoustic guitar in my life before.

(it was an amplified Gibson 6-string acoustic....but obviously he was running it through some pedals, heads and gear)

The end result was something Jimi Hendrix would have been proud of....

He did a couple of Hendrix covers......."Voodo Chile" and "Red House".......he also did Mountain's "Mississipi Queen"...

Blistering stratospheric runs in every song he played.

Don't know how old this show was.........but it blew me away watching and listening to him and the band.

2. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

This?

1. That's not an acoustic guitar.

2. I don't see how that is, in any way, a tribute to Les Paul. Oh, except that he's playing a Gibson Les Paul.

He's a skilled dude but that is just alot of self indulgent riffing...not a tribute.

3. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Sorry...found it:

Still don't see how this pays homage to Les Paul.

4. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

I'm afraid I'm missing some context...
    He's doing a tribute for Les Paul, so he doesn't play a Les Paul and he instead plays a song that was originally played on a Strat?

Where's the tribute?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

I watched that after the gig last night too. I don't know about Double E's link(won't load)but what I saw was indeed an acoustic six string. In a way I was impressed by the not-normal-to-acoustics sounds he was pulling out of that thing,but was turned off by the never-ending guitarding..Yeah Zakk,we get it-you've got the chops...now employ some taste.

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I think the OP might have been talking about this performance:

8. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
    Nicki Parrot on bass? Hell yeah!

[​IMG]

9. ZenG

ZenG

The band was called the Les Paul Trio... (although there were five people in total).

I noticed he had Anton Figg (sp?) on drums......

Anton used to be the drummer on Letterman's house band with P. Schaeffer years and years back...

Wylde looks like a big guy with big hands and fingers....but big fingers doesn't stop him from playing it seems.

Although I'm wondering if his guitar selections have anything to do with it.....as far as wider necks and more fret spacing......

10. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
    Fig is still in the CBS Orchestra.

That band is fantastic.

11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Very easy to get that sound out of an acoustic. I have a Martin 12 string that I play through a Fender Acoustasonic amp, which as built in effects. I can make it sound like a heavily distorted electric very easily.

12. ZenG

ZenG

I read on Wikipedia that Zakk is a big Marshall fan.

Watching him get that sound has given me food for thought possibly down the road aways.

I never really liked playing electrics because generally the finger spacing was too tight.

I kind of gave up on playing guitar because I injured my middle left finger pretty bad.

But it's healed up nicely over time and I think I could play guitar again. ( bass playing is no problem).

The problem as I always saw it with acoustics was that you couldn't get the same playable speed as an electric.

But he just blew that theory out of the water.....

13. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    What tone woods would you recommend for getting Zakk's acoustic tone?:bag:

14. ZenG

ZenG

Don't know the answer to that one myself.....

Anybody know what kind of pup he's using in the Gibson acoustic?

15. jason_cfh

jason_cfh

Epiphone Masterbuilt acoustic + EMG ACS Acoustic Active Soundhole Pickup System = That kind of sound you heard.

16. ZenG

ZenG

Thanks....cheers...