1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Zero Fret

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mscorrupter, Jan 3, 2014.

1. mscorrupter

mscorrupter

Jan 3, 2014
    I have a Washburn Taurus T14 with EMG pick-ups. I am a beginner to the bass guitar. The other day I discovered that the zero fret next to the E string had become chipped. (Probably my fault) Now I am unable to tune the bass with the string snapping out of place. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get a replacement? Or if this is even fixable? Or just tell me what exactly I will have to do? ECT. Would be a great help! Thanks!!

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Are you sure about the zero fret thing? Are you really talking about the nut? Either way, while I encourage folks to get some "hands on" experience adjusting their instruments, repairing or replacing a nut on an instrument might be best done by an experienced tech.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013

Yup. Probably the nut if it's popping out. Get it fixed by a tech. Easy installment and shouldn't cost much.

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Manitoba, Canada
    Yep, a zero fret is an actual steel fret at zero that the strings lie on. If it is a bone or plastic or metal chunk with string slots, it's a nut,

6. mscorrupter

mscorrupter

Jan 3, 2014
  7. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    As mentioned above its your nut. You bass does not have a zero fret.