1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Zero frets; who uses em and why?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by reverendrally, Feb 12, 2013.

1. reverendrally

reverendrally

Had a look at a hofner committee bass today and there it was resplendent with zero fret....

http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/gallery/gallery2/bas.html

Which got me thinking. What is the advantage of them beyond easier nuts? Who has used them and what was the difference in sound? Setup? Etc?
  2. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

IMHO zero frets are the best thing ever. I wish it became an industry standart and fender and other mayor brands featured them!!

you get freted tone from open strings and you dont have to worry about the nut cut job (only about the fretting job!) quality
  3. kevteop

kevteop

I agree I think zero frets make a lot of sense.
  4. CosmoReverb

CosmoReverb

I'm a fan and I also wish that they were more of a standard. It's a very simple method to get a very even tone. Some players are able to get that evenness through their playing without a zerofret and I can see why they might think of them as a superfluous crutch, but I'm not one of them.
  5. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Most often they appear on headless instruments (Steinbergers, Hohners, etc.) as you already having something keeping the ends of the strings in place, another fret is easy to do.

The Dingwall Voodoo I owned had one, but it also had string guides like that Hofner. It would seem that if you were going to mount a string guide to keep the strings in place, why not just use a nut? If the guides are wide enough then you have the option of using different gauge strings, other than that I think that price is the determining factor (nut is easier and thus cheaper, etc.)

My luthier didn't like the brass nut on my bass when I brought it to him to file it down a bit because it eats his files, but I like it now that he's done with it.
  6. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

It started as a cost cutting measure on inexpensive imports back in the 60's and 70's and was one of the hallmarks of cheaper instruments.

Today you don't see it as often, and usually on higher end instruments.

It is a perfectly viable alternative to a regular nut.

(I'm not a fan because I want my open string sound to sound, well - open!)
  7. gbarcus

gbarcus Supporting Member

I've built and played both. Only downsides is the zero fret wears pretty fast and has to be replaced. I suppose you could use stainless though.
  8. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine

I use zero nuts on my fretted instruments. I have always looked at it from the perspective of what is the advantage of a nut? There are certainly some benefits, which gbarcus described, namely that the zero fret is likely to wear more than the other frets and is more difficult to replace than a nut in most cases. I find the simplicity of the zero nut and it's perfect setting of the string height to outweigh this in most cases.