SOLD Zon hyper bass with detuners on all 4 strings

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Plantbrain, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plantbrain

Plantbrain

This bass was just entirely refinished and is essentially like a brand new bass from Joe Zon. Zon did the set up and used light gauge strings for normal tuning. It's been played 6 hours since the total refinishing and rebuild. Hipshot detuners on each string. Set up was done by Zon as well. Demo basses have more hours of use than this one.

This would take well over a year and would cost 7000$ to buy.
    You will note this bass has 4 knobs, one is a cut mid boost, then a treble and high. Comes with original case, which is not refinished and like new but is in excellent shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Plantbrain

Plantbrain

Some folks have asked: action and fretboard is simply put: awesome. The bass is pretty much like a new bass. Joe Zon even said it himself after finishing it up. Save yourself over a year and 3K$. Strings are very light gauge, but the E still packs the serious deep punch. Lots of sonic flexibility.

3. Plantbrain

Plantbrain

4. gre107

gre107 Supporting Member

You're killing me here... sweet bass.
    This doesn't have a truss rod correct?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

oh wow. This is the first hyper that I've seen on TB

7. elshunko

elshunko

8. Plantbrain

Plantbrain

You would never need one.
    Ask Joe if anyone does not believe me, this neck will never move. You can lower the strings at the bridge I suppose some, but you can tap like no tomorrow, so there is little need to lower it, some might want to raise it. Given the condition and set up on this bass being like new from Zon...........this is killer price for a killer instrument. As such, it should go to someone with an interest in alternate tunings, it has quite a few uses. The bottom end on this bass can easily take on some B strings if you knock it down even with a 0.075 gauge. Why use a 6 string bass when you can detune the crap out of a 4? The detuners can bend up like a whammy bar for each string also if anyone is not familiar with these. I can also mention some tricks to prevent the strings from going out of tune much also. A Hyper bass in this condition is very very rare. Not interested in any trades.

9. gre107

gre107 Supporting Member

What gauge strings are on it currently? You can use 40-100 on this easily correct? Also can you explain the eq on this a little more? I'm a little confused as to what they are in the description. Specifically what's the difference between treble and high? Does this have the piezos as well? Also, were are you located in the states?Thanks!

10. Obsdian

Obsdian

11. Plantbrain

Plantbrain

0.075-0.030 right now, this works out nicely.
    You can use the 40-100 sets.
    Not sure what the diff or if there is a diff between treble and high, might be referring to the pan in the pick up.
    No, there are no piezos.

Central CA, USA.

12. Plantbrain

Plantbrain

I am removing any past history about this instrument because folks seem very touchy about it, and it has no bearing on the bass today and the sale.
    Folk's asked and it was heresay. I do not know. They do.... so they can discuss that elsewhere amongst themselves. My bad from bringing it up, their bad for making a deal of it to begin with.

13. hyperba55

hyperba55

These are wonderful basses ... I absolutely love mine.

14. Plantbrain

Plantbrain

Yes, I love it as well, but the wife had a baby girl and she gets the love more than the bass. Which is how it should be. I'll cut the herd back to 4 instruments and leave it at that.

15. lird12

lird12

I've played this bass at Plant's place and it's sure to win the bass race. GLWTS

16. gre107

gre107 Supporting Member

One more question, where are the fret markers located? Are they where the fret is supposed to be (like the traditional blank fingerboard) or in between where the frets are? I'm asking because you said the fret lines were removed so I'm wondering if Joe changed the side markers to match the no line finger board now.
    Thanks!

17. Plantbrain

Plantbrain

Thanks, it's a bass unlike any other. You can pull so many different sounds out of the instrument. And if like more than 4 strings, this instrument can change any which way you like.

You can use the detuners like a whammy for each string and unlike A WHAMMY, YOU CAN SET THE DETUNING for each string and it will stay. Say you are tapping and need that open string note, but the song called for the 4th and the 5th, you can detune while tapping to get the 5th. Then return to normal string tuning. Say you want to do the same with harmonics? Or want to bend the harmonic? Done.

18. Plantbrain

Plantbrain

The side marks are where they are suppose to be, the lines were not. So you can see why it drove me crazy and why Joe tried in vain to talk the original owner out of the spacing. I think the guy had $ and no brains. Anyway, it is very tough for anyone else to play and I think once the owner got it, he realized his screw up. Then sold it.

Instead of going this path, I opted to fix and repair the bass to bring it back to the beauty and functional playing that it rightly deserves.

I really do not use the side marks when playing, they are relative to me, just a general area, but those 1/4 step off lines........ sucked big toe. Seems the dots are like the same spot as a fretted instrument to me. Joe did not change those.

19. Plantbrain

Plantbrain

20. TimWilson

TimWilson

Gasp... Wipe, please.

21. Brian Reihms

Brian Reihms Supporting Member

4th of July bump for a beautiful bass!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.