Zon vs Warwick fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by btn, Jan 19, 2014.

1. btn

btn

I had my heart set on a new 6 string Modulus fretless, but was stunned to find out they went out of business. I am now trying to decide between either a 6 string fretless Thumb or Legacy. I love the idea of a carbon neck, but also love the warm, "woody" look of the Warwicks. Does the carbon neck make much of a difference tonally? Also, would the phenowood board last longer then a standard wood board?

Thanks.

2. wmheilma

wmheilma

Yes the graphite sounds quite unique. There are no dead spots I can find anywhere. It sounds especially great with a BIG PA. You might find a Modulus fretless 6 used if you are lucky. My Q6 has frets. My fretless is similar to a Warwick. It is great with wenge neck, bubinga body, and ebony board!

3. lz4005

lz4005

They're going to sound very different.
    Phenowood is harder than natural wood and will give a brighter, more upper-mid heavy sound.

4. btn

btn

How about from a durability standpoint? Is phenowood longer-lasting than natural ebony?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Marial

Marial Pooped Gold Supporting Member

They both have their pros and cons, but to my ears no fretless sings like a Zon, with Pedulla being number two.

7. lz4005

lz4005

Should be, yes. It's more wear resistant in terms of string grooves, but can crack from impacts that would only dent wood.

8. Brother Goose

Brother Goose Fun with a k all day! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    (visitor from Planet Funktron)
    If your amenable to a 34" 5 string fretless- check out my Warwick PRO M 5 for sale. Has a very deep and focused sound- I'm just looking to reinvest.

9. steven conley

steven conley

I have a 1997 Corvette Standard made in West Germany Bubinga, wenge. It is passive in excellent to mint condition. West Germany written on the tuners. Also I have a 2007 Warwick Corvette Standard Fretless Bubinga, wenge, and ebony fretboard. Passive also in mint condition. Made in Germany. Both for sale. Working up towards a Fodera.