1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Zoom B1on New FX unit

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gleneg61, Jan 27, 2014.

1. gleneg61

gleneg61

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/b1on/?lang=en

Just saw one yesterday here in Osaka, a kinda larger MS60B it seems with a few more doohickies, no time to try it but seems to have all the MS60B toys n then some. Cost here is ¥7500, about US$75. Enjoy!

2. bassbrad

bassbrad

Cool update of the B1 B1x, but nothing new for B3 users and even B2/B2.1u. Probably has limited parameters and missinf some of my new fave sounds from the B3.

Say it deeply= Plastic!

Let's hope the an update for the B2/B2.1u or B5x is coming soon.

3. gleneg61

gleneg61

For those looking for more info on this Zoom, see the link in English above. It may be more entry level than the MS60B or B3 but it can do a way helluva lot for $75ish n as for the plastic worries, I've still got my old 505 original model after 16/17/18 yrs whatever, it saw a ton of gigs n it's still in good condition with everything working so it can do the time if you don't do it crime. At this price it could be a great extension for my 60B. YMMV

4. rsm

rsm

B1on / B1Xon has 5 slots per patch.

Sure would be nice if my B3 could have one more :(

I'd get the B1Xon if I did not have a B3; like to have an XLR out but I could use my ebTech...

Hoping for one more effect slot in the B3.

Using a G5 for my guitar.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rsm

rsm

I find I'm using my B3 in more of a patch/preset mode than as a pedal board. (the opposite of how I use my G5 for guitar)

The B1on has up to 5 slots which would more than cover what I need (one more slot on my B3 would be all I need).

Most of the effects look to be the same, no stereo effects but that is not an issue.

The seek function would make live navigation workable.

Not sure how sturdy the integrated pedal is, but I've been using a Zoom FP02 (plastic) for over a year, granted I'm not too hard on it, so I'm fine with plastic (tired of the red for Zoom bass pedals, I prefer the guitar color schemes!) It would be nice to ditch the external pedal, however...

Downside is needing a DI box, if I read the specs right:

B1on output: Maximum line output level
    +2 dBm (output impedance load of 10 kΩ or more)

or would this be sufficient for a line output signal? The manual shows the output going into the front of a bass amp so instrument level, I assume?

7. Lavrans

Lavrans Supporting Member

Too bad the knuckleheads at Zoom don't make effects transferable. There are FX on the B3 I'd like to download to the M60B and vice versa, but not possible. The new B1on looks great, but there will still be that problem with accessing favorite FX.

I'm going to get one as soon as it is released, but will hang on to the others for a while.

8. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

This.

9. boomski

boomski

I am in Tokyo and bought a B1ONX a couple of days ago. I had been using a B3 exclusively in patch mode with a Zoom expression pedal, a Zoom MS-70CDR and a MXR M82 Bass Envelope Filter. The B1ONX basically functions and sounds the same. Not having a fade out on the looper is a drag (as is having to bend over to enable the looper) but manually copying individual pedal settings only takes a couple of minutes per patch so that is not really a problem. I have been gigging with it for a few days and I am pleased to not have to carry my Pedaltrain Junior set up and still have the same functions . The weight and size of this thing is negligible. I give it 2 thumbs up.

10. rsm

rsm

Nice, thanks for sharing this info. On the top of my list as soon as available in the USA.

11. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

I still have the 506 model (the bass version of the 505) . I did a lot of gigs in the 90's with it. Some sounds were noisy , but , in general , it was a good unit for the price.

After three years using a Boss ME50B (which I love BTW) I bought a MS60B as a backup and for small gigs.. now I use the MS60B in my Helloween tribute band , in my heavy metal band and in my pop/rock/soul/funk cover band... not bad for a 100$ pedal.

Maybe I'll buy the B1on (I'm not very deep in expressin pedal stuff) because it has an "Aux" in and sometimes I like to practice until late at night. Sometimes I use my Roland microcube.I plug my ipod and then I plug the headphones... but I don't lke this way and I want to simplify a little bit.

Because I play guitar at home I was tempted to buy the MS50G , but I'm very sure that I'll buy the G1on ..it's cheaper and I don't need more.. but the Ms50G is so damn pretty...

12. superbassman2000

superbassman2000

Can you elaborate on having to bend over to enable the looper? I've been watching this as I hate that you have to hold down on the third pedal on the b3 to engage the looper and I don't like waiting. I was thinking this might be a good pedal only for it's looper. However if it's not easy access either, it may not be worth it.

13. boomski

boomski

There is a dedicated button that enables both the looper and the drum machine/rhythm trainer . You have to press it twice to enable the looper , after which the up and down foot switches become start/record and stop/reset controls . To leave the looping mode you have to push the loop enable/disable button again . The loop/drum machine button is recessed and is too small to push by foot while wearing shoes .

14. TitaniumRx

TitaniumRx

Woohooo,the new G1on and G1onX now available in Europe.
    The price is for G1on 49 euros ( :eek: ) and for the G1onX 69 euros.Lets see when the bass brothers arrives.

15. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Anyone know the US release date for the bass version?

16. Bozarus

Bozarus

Yeah but i've found only one shop (i'm from France) that sells it today and it's with a delay of...23 weeks...:meh:

17. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

According to my main supplier , it will arrive to his store (in Spain) in April 15th.

I'll wait until then.

18. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

19. johnp352

johnp352 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Gallien Krueger, S.Duncan, Dredgetone, Pigtronix,DTAR
    1) I did not buy this for playing bass through, though of course you could..2) I bought it for cheap thrills synth/noise efx. 3) I would never take this out on the road as a stomp box, but I would take it out as a table top box...the build is pretty light weight plastic.

As an efx processor it has some nice things..step sequencers, ring modulator, filtered sequencers..4 second delay..the usual modeled amps which are ok, but I don't use them...I feel the Korg/Vox modelers are better. This thing also has a 60 second looper..and a drum machine..and a tuner ...aux in for ??? an espresso maker...a garage door opener..

for @$50...delivered.

the strange thing is that it has efx that are completely undocumented..a Mutron Bi-Phase for example..a sequenced filter..and more. No mention of these anywhere, or on the Zoom forums. You have to dl a pdf of the efx, as they aren't in the manual, and there's no mention..I wonder if the B1on is the same?

My little analog synths play nicely with this thing as well. How'd they do this for $50?

rehouse the mother in a metal box..put in some real switches, and it might even be usable on the floor..

20. TitaniumRx

TitaniumRx

Are you ready?

http://www.thomann.de/gr/zoom_b1on.htm

:hyper:

21. boomski

boomski