Zoom B2 on Vocals/Guitar instead of Bass.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jack Pepsi, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Jack Pepsi

Jack Pepsi

Hi all,

Recently I've been on a big effects bender, I've been playing round with a simple Zoom B2.0 multi effect - trying to get as big and as diverse a sound as I can out of it.

I recorded a couple of songs on an 8-track with it, primarily using a guitar with it instead of bass. I really love the sounds I'm getting out of it. Very unusual, but very interesting.

My question is this: Bass guitars can sometimes damage regular guitar speakers - am I running the same or similar risks by using a normal guitar amp through an effects unit designed for bass? Basically - will this mismatch cause any damage or problems?

Also;

How could I apply the Zoom B2.0 to my vocals? Can guitar effects/distortion pedals be plugged into mic vocals? Does this carry similar damage risks to those mentioned above?

2. bassbrad

bassbrad

While some bass effects can cause damage to some guitar speakers one needs to remember the reason. Many of the popular 'guitar' speakers are intentionally designed using lighter than standard components that PA or bass speakers would use so demanding the same level of performance can cause damage to the voice coil, spider and in some cases the cone. This is because guitar is primarily a midrange instrument and limiting low and high frequencies by design focuses on the midrange.

That said you can use any effects on any application. I routinely use my old Digitech BP8 for applications other than bass because of the wonderful sounding eq, delay and reverbs.

The b2 does offer some good tones and effects for guitar especially for clean or jazzy tones.

3. DavC

DavC

i have a B3 that i also use on guitar and keys ...
    program away .. !! it will work fine ...

if you have an Effects Loop or AUX send/return .. then you could easily use on vocals ... it won't work as a mic preamp ... if you have a low impedance mic , .. but i have never plugged a mic straight into it .. ??

if you're recording directly with no amps .... you would just watch your levels and those real super low frequencies that might overdrive inputs and things .. !

if you're recording digitally , don't Clip .. it sounds Bad ..

4. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

I just tested an SM58 direct into my B3 (ok, it's not a B2) with headphones to monitor.

Initially, (with the input signal obviously being at mic level and input switch on "passive") there was just enough signal strength to be able to hear the sound of my voice with "Arena Reverb" applied.
    (Remember, this is with me monitoring through headphones, there might be plenty of volume when recording or plugging into a PA, I don't know.)

I played around a bit and ended up boosting the signal quite a bit with the "Booster" and "Graphic EQ" effects.
    This was plenty of signal strength to be able to apply "Arena Reverb" quite effectively.

I'd need to play further with all the settings to get a better sound, but for now, FYI, you can use a B3 for vocal effects, so I can't see why the B2 wouldn't work as well, as long as you can boost that input signal somehow.

Greg

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jack Pepsi

Jack Pepsi

At the moment, I am looking to start an experimental band on the side. I'm thinking myself on the guitar, a drummer and a vocalist. (No bassist - controversial for this forum, I know).

I'm looking to emulate the sort of tones that The White Stripes and The Black Keys get.

I was thinking Guitar -> Zoom B2 -> Fender Mustang Combo Amp miced up through the PA?

Yay or nay?