1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Zoom B3 as an all in one toolbox?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by J03YW, Dec 31, 2013.

1. J03YW

J03YW

I have a Zoom B3 and since it does all of my effects/amp sims and is a USB interface, could I just use it as a swiss army knife for my bass tone into a PC? Is there anything important it can't do? I like all of the compressor/cabinet sounds (They wouldn't need any post compression or eq), but does anyone more professional disagree? Oh and also I've noticed that when I'm recording direct with USB the stereo chorus doesn't seem so stereo, do stereo effects remain stereo through the USB interface? Thanks

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Not sure about the stereo thing but... The Zoom is a really capable box with decent audio quality. If you are the effects meister Justin Medal Johnson - OK the Zoom, probaly doesn't pass muster but for recording stuff at home, doing the project studio thing, it's a great choice. If you get something amazing, you can always go re-record it at the mega-buck analog, 2-" tape studio with effects galore anyway...

Biased I am as I dumped most of my boo-teak pedals for a b3. It just works great for what I need it to do.

3. schecter5string

schecter5string

Are you recording a stereo track? Or mono? Im betting mono.

4. silky smoove

silky smoove

Agreed.

A mono track will make everything sound mono regardless of the source.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nick98338

nick98338

Yes. They absolutely remain stereo. IF, as others have pointed out, you record into a stereo track. However, IMHO stereo effects on bass are totally lost in a mix with several other instruments. If you're recording bass, by itself, or with just a couple of other, not-so-loud instruments, then fine. But, you get in a mix with drums and screaming guitars, and such, and that stereo effect on the bass just makes the bass harder to hear in the mix. So, bass by itself... stereo OK. Bass in a mix... keep bass mono and skip the stereo effects. You won't hear those effects anyway.

7. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom