1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Zoom B3 as DI box into PA

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LennyPenny, Mar 6, 2014.

1. LennyPenny

LennyPenny

Hi all,

Can you use a B3 as a DI-box to go straight into the PA? I'm playing a wedding gig and I thought this could be a very practical setup since volume isn't as big a factor for this type of gig. There's no information yet about any available equipment so it may well be that there's not even a PA to go into, I'd just like to know what my options are ahead of time. I have a GK MB-112 but it's not a given that I'll be able to get it there.

Thanks,
    LP

2. Swift713

Swift713

Yes. Check out the B3 as a preamp thread for lots of pointers about this kind of application. The amp modeling works very well into a PA.

3. driftingupward

driftingupward Gold Supporting Member

You sure can. Its even got an xlr out. Be to set the button for post if you want whatever you have on it to go into the PA...

4. LennyPenny

LennyPenny

Thanks, good to hear that.

I did and there was lot of technical information but I didn't really find anything that concretely answered my question.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Yes.

That was your answer.. You may have to set the global levels a little differently depending on your engineer and how the board is set up.. but it will work fine. It is a great DI.

7. LennyPenny

LennyPenny

One more (slightly noobish) question: is it customary for the house to provide the proper lead for this application? I know it's always best to bring your own cables but from what I understand good mic leads are a lot more pricey than good 1/4" jack leads.

8. jking138

jking138

They've been provided at every gig I've done. The sound guys I've encountered like to use their own gear as they know it works. However this doesn't stop you having a 'back up' cable to hand, but they usually have a few available.

9. Lowendluver

Lowendluver

is the GK MB-112 MK II that you've got? Please let me know your experience with it; I'm planning to buy one for me!
    I also have the B3, so it would be great to see of these two bad boys can work together!
    Cheers,
    Muri

10. thebreakman

thebreakman Supporting Member

I cant speak about the 112, but I have the GK MB115-II and have been pretty pleased with it. Very light to carry, can get some great tones and good power

11. LennyPenny

LennyPenny

As it turns out I have both, the I at home and II at the rehearsal spot. There no doubt the II is a lot better executed:
    -feels more solid
    -looks a lot better I think
    -the DI out is fixed (on the I the cable's release button was nearly inaccessible) and it has pre/post EQ
    -the handle is recessed, maybe a trivial thing but I like it better
    -one input with -10dB pad instead of two separate inputs
    -rubber feet

In terms of sound: I've played both at fairly high volume (halfway to two thirds up) but never side by side. They're very similar to my ears, I just think the II sounds a bit tighter. Our drummer isn't very loud but I'd say still a bit louder than average, and I don't have any problems keeping up with the volume at 10:00. And of course the option to add a powered cab is a great bonus, should you ever need more power (which you probably will). Also, it works great with the B3, but I don't think there's an amp the B3 wouldn't work well with, it's really an excellent piece of equipment.

I highly recommend it!