Zoom B3 As Preamp Part 2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by David Wilson, Dec 21, 2013.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator

Media:
  2. CharlieC

CharlieC Supporting Member

I'm back in the New York groove with Part 2

Cheers!
  3. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Salutations TBers, Just curious about your results if you're running through a BX500. The BX has so much EQ that I think it may be better to go straight from the B3 into the Effects return of the BX500. Thanks for any advice.
  4. CharlieC

+1
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NYCbassist

Thanks Charlie, Until now I have been using My Hartke. Then I plugged into the BX500 and it was so different. It wasn't necessarily bad but it just seemed overblown for lack of a better word.
  7. CharlieC

Even though the past 1000+ posts in Part I of this thread may be worth a once-over, you are definately on the right track!

:bassist:
  8. NYCbassist

10-4, I've read most of the posts but wanted to try to get a BX500 sub category going.;)
  9. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

I'll bet it's an EQ thing.
  10. NYCbassist

I agree. I could flatten everything out but then I'd have to reset it all back when not using the B3. So I figured going right into the effects return would be a smart alternative. I love this Zoom B3:hyper:
  11. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

I spent some quality time with my new B3 yesterday, setting up a patch for each of the songs I'm playing today and next week. I spent a lot of time on the amps and found some were just too noisy. The noise may be lost in the overall mix but it put me off using a number of the models. I've ended up using mostly the SVT plus the Acoustic and Flip top, and a heavily adjusted Eden. Does anyone else fin some some models inherently noisy?
  12. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

I plug into the front of my Carvin amp... As a result, I don't use amp sims much ... I used to on my B2.1u, but some of the preamps on the B3 are so good and work so good with my amp that I use these instead ...
  13. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    Is that how it is for most amps? if you run through the effects loop you can bypass the amps preamp? I had posted about switching to just a power amp and my b3(and eventually I'll make a fearful to pair with it) but maybe that's not necessary for now? I don't know much about power amps or what to even look for.

On another note. When running through the DI today at church, when I was tuning even though it said muted it still sent the signal to the board? Is there a way to change this? I did it last week and there didn't seem to be an issue but maybe he already had me muted on the board...
  14. andreas_flf

andreas_flf

This depends on how you set the DI, pre or post effects (and of course how long you press the foot switch, but I guess the latter you already know).

Cheers.

Andreas flf
  15. domdec314

domdec314 Supporting Member

It depends. For example, the FX loop Markbass is before the EQ. On my GK Fusion, the FX loop bypasses not only the EQ but also the DI output.
  16. CharlieC

This is the result of having the XLR's PRE/POST physical rear switch set to PRE and not to POST. Use of POST will ensure that the XLR output will indeed mute when the LCD display indicates MUTE when tuning.
  17. dogmeat08

dogmeat08 Supporting Member

so cool to find this post !!! , im a big mxr fan with over 7 pedals plus a tech 21 para acting as pre amp then a bbe sonic stomp pedal with the pedals always on are tech 21 para ---chorus pedal ---- bb sonic stop to an ampeg 800 ( cabs pf 210 and pf 410 ) .... I want to get the same main sound with the b3 ..... I will have a boss tu 2 tuner as first pedal in chain --- b3 ---- bbe sonic stomp ---- then amp... what order would I put the chorus , tech 21 , and a fuzz ( big fuff) on the b3 to get the same (always on ) sound ... left to right on the b3 .... thanks :bassist: ( hope this makes sense lol) should say , I have a second sonic stomp that will be in the chain ...( right before the amp )
  18. SoVeryTired

+1. I've made this mistake once (for a whole morning at church) so when I noticed a lack of effects in my monitor yesterday with the new B3, I made sure to change the switch to POST.
  19. SoVeryTired

You can change the order of the B3 pedals between left-to-right or right-to-left in the Global settings, so it's your choice! Left-to-right is default.
  20. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    I could've sworn I had it on post but I guess it was on pre looking at it now. I had issues with an instrument cable during practice and was scrambling to diagnose and I guess I had it in pre when I swapped cables. A bit of an off morning with that and then not tuning again because of it not muting(not that it necessarily needed to be retuned but I usually like to check because the temperature of the sanctuary often changes between rehearsal and service). Thanks for the heads up though!
  21. jimfist

jimfist Supporting Member

got a factory refurb B3 on a good deal. I already own the MS60B and like it a lot, but the idea of having 3 pedal switches and an external was appealing. I also was very interested in the bass amp models and other fx in the B3 that aren't in the MS60B.

Round one of listening was through my full range 12" coaxial Atomic CLRs. I was impressed by about a dozen factory presets to use as solid starting point sounds. Since the SVT has always been my hard rock "go to" sound, I started there. With a few tweaks to taste, I was up and running with a familiar and very aggressive SVT tone....a really solid core tone...One of the keys when running full range speakers is the MIX parameter for the speaker sim. I usually settle in at around 70-80% cabinet vs direct. If I want more clarity or modern "sizzle", I dial the MIX back to about 50% or so. In addition to the SVT, I found many other good tones easily attained, whether it be via other amp models, comps and preamp sims, or a combination of them. Dialing in tones using full range speakers also carries the benefit of having confidence that the tone I'm hearing will be well represented via the direct out to FOH sound system.

Next listen test was at rehearsal, plugging into a Crown xti4002 in bridge mono powering an SVT Classic 8x10. For this, the cab sim MIX was dialed back to 0% (= no cabinet sim). Once again, I found the SVT model to feel very natural and representative of the tones I would enjoy when unsung the real tube head. It was really an enjoyable experience and the B3 is a worthy preamp, tonally as desirable, capable, and flexible as anything I've used...ever.

This comes as sort of a kick in the pants as I'm an avid AxeFx owner/user. Given that the Axefx has been quite slow in updating with additional dedicated varieties of bass amps, stomps, fx, and cabinets, the B3 is quite a breath of fresh air since everything about it is designed with bass guitar in mind. Hard to imagine that I'm playing my ZOOM stomps more now than I am my Axefx. However, when I'm doing other gigs that require lots of complex fx routings and real time MIDI controllers, the Axefx is in a league by itself...apples and oranges. But for quick plug-and-play simplicity, the ZOOM's amp models and the various compressors and preamps, along with plenty of knobs ready to tweak when necessary, the B3 is really impressive IMHO, especially at its price point.