1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Zoom B3 clipping?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DaveDub, Dec 17, 2013.

1. DaveDub

DaveDub

I just bought a B3 and I'm experiencing some really bad clipping when I play. I'm currently playing an ibanez sr700 through the B3 into a fender rumble350. The bass is active and both the B3 and the amp are switched for active bass.
    I've lowered the master volume to 75 but it's still happening..do I go lower? Is there an update to the software?
    This is really bumming me out!!! Please help as I'm having some real buyers remorse right now!!
  2. jimfist

jimfist Supporting Member

have you tried lowering the volume output knob on your bass, and checked the battery if the bass has active electronics?

I can get the input of the B3 to overdrive depending on the bass I use, and usually if I'm honking a lot of midrange from the bridge pickup only. I've got basses with pretty hot output, and will have to back off the output of the basses to avoid clipping distortion. This may seem odd, but it works for me with little negative impact to tone.

If your combo amp has an effects loop, try putting the pedal in the loop instead. If the combo amp's input pad can deliver clean tone to the amp's preamp circuit, then you should have no trouble getting clean input to the zoom via the effects loop. This is how I use the zoom with my GK 1001rbII head.
  3. DaveDub

DaveDub

How do I connect it to the effects loop? Stupid question I'm sure..
  4. DaveDub

DaveDub

Is it send to the input on the B3 and return to the R output on the B3.
    I'm thinking of using this instead of my rack mount effect processor. I have a Trace Elliot AH350 that I can't wait to try it on. I'm hoping it doesn't clip with that!!
  5. jimfist

jimfist Supporting Member

on the RUmble, the Effecs Loop SEND goes to the INPUT of your Zoom, and then take the mono out from the Zoom to the RETURN of your Rumble.

this excerpt is directly from the manual:

FX LOOP — Connect the SEND to the input of outboard
    effects devices (delay, chorus, etc.) and the output of the
    effects devices to the RETURN. Placing effects in the
    FX LOOP (instead of between your bass and the INPUT)
    will reduce the amount of noise and tone degradation
    caused by the effects pedals.
    TIP: You can connect the SEND jack to other devices
    (such as tuners, or additional power amplifiers) without
    connecting signal back to the RETURN jack. Returning
    signal to the RETURN jack is not required for operation
    of the amplifier. Additionally, you can connect external
    signals to the RETURN jack to bypass the preamp controls,
    and send external signal directly to the power amplifier
  6. DaveDub

DaveDub

Thank you!!
  7. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

So Dave .. how are you liking that B3?
  8. DaveDub

DaveDub

With the exception of the clipping...nice effects, seems easy to use. Still playing with it.
  9. varunjh

varunjh

With the zoom B3 there are multiple ways of controlling your output volume. Initially even I had major issues figuring out how to set the volume levels correctly. This is what I do
    1. Set the volume level under Global to 50
    2. Set the volume for the individual effects to around 50 depending on the sound you want. Use the individual effect volumes to get the tone/sound youre happy with.
    3. After doing that I use the volume under the Total page to control the overall volume output varying it from 30 to 100 depending on what I need and the selected patch. This is for overall volume boost.

Now after this if i need more volume Ill either adjust the volume under the Total page for an overall increase, or for a particular effect to get the desired tone. And finally if really required change the Global volume(this is the last resort for me).
    The volume levels given above are for my amp you might have to find the levels that work best for you.
  10. Swift713

Swift713

I keep my total and global levels at 100 and set each effect for unity (more or less). This works with my headphones, amp, and non USB recording device. I play an active Lakland.