1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Zoom B3 compressors

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sm49341, May 17, 2013.

1. sm49341

sm49341

I currently own a Zoom B2. I use the compressor for live siutuations. Its the only effect I have on. I notice a slight fizz or hiss as a note fades, and this is on a very low setting. More compression adds more fizz . I have been testing pedals like the mxr m87 and the MarkBass compressore, so I know what a decent compressor should sound like.
    So I ask, is there any noise with this compression in B3?

I own a G3, I'm quite familiar with how these units operate.
    Thanks group.
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I haven't tested the B3 yet, but I will soon. I can tell you the B2 compressors really are crap, and that a couple of B3 owners have claimed it is much better.
  3. sm49341

sm49341

Great. Post your results if you do test it.
    Thanks
  4. stephen3547

stephen3547 Supporting Member

They're great. I use the M-Comp. Sounds much better than the one built in to my Ampeg PF-500
  5. jovino

jovino

I'm just about to ditch my DBX 266xs compressor in favor of the B3. I've been using the B3's 160 Comp which is supposedly comparable to the DBX 160 and so far I've been happy with its sound.

FWIW, the DBX 266xs sucks for bass. Lower frequencies make the compressor flutter on soft-knee mode, and there are audible clicks in anything over 1:2 compression. I've been using it for a nose gate, and it hardly seems worth its weight in rack space.
  6. Swift713

Swift713

The B3 has a couple good comps IMO. The 160 is very good, transparent compression. The M comp feels a little squishier to me, very nice but it does seem to have some subtle distortion which would totally get lost in a mix. Even the Dynacomp model is pretty good.
  7. sm49341

sm49341

Thanks guys. I noted in the earlier post that I own G3. I havent rocked the comps on it because my bass practice rig is at our rehersal location all the time. I finally got over there and toyed with the B2 and G3 compressors at full volume. The B2 is fizzy. However the G3 compressors were great. Really like the mcomp. Does a very nice job, and totally quiet, The G3 will serve me for now, perhaps I will swing for the B3 in the future,
  8. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

I find that the B2 “cmp” model is pretty much unusable. I do use a small amount of the “lim” model, as it does a semi-decent job.
    The B3 compressor models are in an entirely different league (thankfully so). I use the M-comp and the 160 comp models ... finding that the 160 is a really flexible model to use as an “always on” comp. The M-comp is easier to set up, however, and really good for slap.

I have 2x B2.1u units and a B3 unit... I've been rocking a B2.1u for over 6 years, and still love it.... but I can say without hesitation that the B3 is superior.
  9. magecat

magecat

I don't seem to have any luck with the compressors. Shouldn't compressions make soft playing louder and loud playing softer? I turn the thresh all the way down and the ratio all the way up and still can't tell a difference. What am I missing?
  10. bongomania

Disclosures:
    Here's one test: with the comp switched OFF, turn your amp's input gain up until it distorts when you play strong peaky notes. Then turn the comp on, with those heavy settings, and see if the distortion goes away.
  11. Veldar

Veldar

I liked it so much I was going to get a real one, then I saw the price and size. :bawl:
  12. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Last night, I switched the 60B from last before PDBBI to right after the BEF, with hoping to get better performance from the tone-shaping patches in that spot.

I also tried all the comps/limiters, not real testing but more trying them to see which one(s) would work out (I 've been using an LMB-3 (slap setting) for a couple of years). So after trying them, it ended up being a shootout between the 160 and the Opto and for now, the Opto seems to my better liking and will test it further in band practice later this month. No worse noise than with the LMB-3, IMO.
  13. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Wrong ....

More trials this morning are leading me to the 60B's Limiter, with settings I had not tried last night. Man, so many options with this pedal.
  14. the explode man

the explode man

Bongo, put ads on your site. Seriously, you could do it in a way that is non-obtrusive and if done tastefully, I don't think anyone would be offended.

Even throwing them in non-ideal places like at the bottom of the page or way off to the side would allow you to bring in some money without compromising the integrity of your site.

You are too important and helpful not to be sitting in a compressor palace testing compressors all day with your compressor minions doing your compressor bidding.
  15. bongomania

Disclosures:
    Yeah... I've struggled with that for years. The integrity thing, plus too often the ads slowed down page loading, and they never seemed to pay off more than pennies. I did recently put Ebay and Amazon links on there that do a decent job.
  16. jking138

jking138

Apart from my limiter pedal the B3's comps are my first real experience with compression outside of editing and I'm really enjoying them.
    The 160 and Opt Comp (Punch Factory) are my go-to comps. The 160 for more exact clinical compression and the Opt Comp for general comp, the tone knob can add a little clarity as well.
    Great pedal and quiet, thought i get a touch of hum from my Jazz, which can be exacerbated by some pedal combinations but killed by the ZNR noise suppressor.
    I noticed that when I put my Ibanez PhatHed before the B3 with the Opt set, sometimes you can hear the envelop opening up like a volume swell.
    If you want to save valuable patch space the Hartke amp sim has a built in comp, basic but works.
  17. jovino

jovino

I'm just the opposite.

The 160Comp reminded me how much I loved my old DBX163x, so I wound up getting another one.
  18. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

After another evening of playing with the MS60B's comps (which are the same as the B3's, save for the B3's additionnal Dual Comp), I decided to go back to the Boss LMB-3. It suits my playing better and IMO, is more transparent than what comes out of the Zoom unit.
  19. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

so, help me out here a little..

opt comp - aphex punch factory
    Dcomp - MXR Dyna Comp
    M Comp - ???
    Dual comp - ???
    160 comp - DBX 160A
  20. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn

Dual Comp-Trace Elliot SMX Compressor Pedal