Zoom B3 multi-effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by OzzyGreg, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

Well we had over 1000 replies to the old "New Zoom B3 has arrived" topic.

Here's the beginning of the next 1000!

Don't forget Crystalman85's Zoom B3 Patch ideas link! (Check out other people's patches and include your own for others to try!)

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/zoom-b3-patch-ideas-918990/

Greg

2. OzzyGreg

Has anyone else had any success using their B3 for guitar?

I tried to emulate the Smashing Pumpkins guitar sound on my Strat last night based on suggestions I found on another forum.

I had limited success.
    Maybe the algorithms in the B3 are considerably different to those in the G3? (ie. the ones that apply to effects with the same names.)

Greg

3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Thanks for mentioning the patch ideas thread, ozzygreg. I'm still trying to come up with some new patch ideas for everyone to use. I haven't tried the zoom b3 on guitar, but I might try that with my guitar and see what kind of sound I would get.

4. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

I haven't had time to use the edit/share software yet. Are any of you guys sharing your patches with it?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. OzzyGreg

Not so far, to be honest I hadn't even thought to try it yet!

......but I've just uploaded four of my own B3 patches to my webspace now if you want to try downloading them. i have no idea if this will work BTW, I assume it will.

Go back to Crystalman85's Patch Ideas topic and you'll find them there. I've edited my previous postings to include them.........
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/zo...-ideas-918990/

Greg

7. Swift713

Swift713

I've set up a bank of patches for my hollowbody guitar. I mostly use the "Air" effect and stay away from heavy reverb and modeled amp distortion.

8. ZB158

ZB158

Is the Sequel LE software included with the B3 working out for everyone? I can't get any sounds out of it/the instruments are non-functional.

Is product registration at the Steinberg website or anything else required to get full functionality? (The pop-up says "this is the unlimited version".)

9. pan1k

pan1k Supporting Member

i dig the software. makes editing patches alot easier. but i mean, when youre in the heat of battle (practice) and trying to get that perfect sound on the spot, youre not going to whip out your laptop and all that jazz. (at least i dont have time for that)

It would be cool to find a community spot where we can all share patches though!

10. jesso

jesso

Just got mine. Sounds great so far, just about to use it in the real world for the first time tonight.
    A couple of questions for y'all.
    For those of you running it on batteries: How long do you get from it? I don't see a battery indicator (although there may be one), so I'd be worried about running out of batteries mid gig.
    I'd like to be able to run it on it's own, outside of my pedal board, but I don't want to run a wall wart to an extension cable yadayadayada.
    I notice Aceonbass talking about running his with a 9V power supply.... I don't completely understand this though.
    I have a fueltank jr, and I tried running the B3 from that, but it won't start up. Also, how does Aceonbass power the pedal with a guitar jack? I've never heard of that, it sounds very interesting.

11. OzzyGreg

Battery life? I'm not sure because I've never let them run low enough to run out.
    I usually use mine on mains power unless I'm recording with it, then I switch to batteries.
    You could run an experiment at your next few band rehearsals and see how many jams the batteries last for.
    Then keep a close eye on battery life for gigs.
    Maybe even adopt a policy of new batteries every gig, that way you'd be safe.

Not sure what Dane (aceonbass) means either. I wonder if he is somehow linking it via the USB connection? It'll run that way too.

Greg

12. OzzyGreg

Nah, I never bothered with it.
    I sourced a cheap copy of Sony Acid Pro 7 and have been running that for recording here at home. Its far superior to Sequel LE.

Acid Pro 8 or 9 would be even better.

Greg

13. OzzyGreg

Has anyone had success with downloading B3 patches yet?
    I've just learnt how. I'm keen to see if it works for someone else.

If you're interested, try downloading this one (link below) I made up.

Open Edit and Share, connect your B3, and drag this patch across from the folder you saved it in into Edit and Share....

http://www.tz350.net/Zoom_B3_patches/SVTchorus .b3p

Greg

14. pan1k

pan1k Supporting Member

Compressors: what's everyone using?

I dig the M comp a lot. Fattens up my sound while sounding somewhat natural. I think for my slap patch I'm creating, I'm going to use the dbx and maybe the sonic max. And probably scoop mids on an EQ.

15. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

I don't really understand compression very well(I've never used it before). I've messed around with the dbx on a couple of patches though. I haven't tried the others yet.

16. OzzyGreg

pan1k,

I'm working on that.
    I have a bunch of Zoom B3 patches uploaded here, but I'm not sure how to allow others to upload there too!
    OzzyGregs Zoom B3 patches to download

Greg

17. OzzyGreg

In a nutshell:

As you play your bass, some notes are loud and others soft, they are never exactly the same volume.
    In other words bass guitar by nature is a very dynamic instrument.

"Compression" will boost those soft notes and make the loud ones quieter, evening out the overall volume of your playing.
    (This is desirable in many styles/songs, not so in some others.)

FYI ...."Limiting" just cuts the loud notes down, it doesn't boost the quieter ones.

Greg

18. minion

minion

Any updates around the 6 simultaneous effects at once firmware?

19. OzzyGreg

Everyone started getting excited when we all saw Victor Wooten's video where he states that 6 effects are possible, but the original video was removed soon after.

It's still here though:
    http://www.samsontech.com/zoom/products/bass-guitar-effects/b3/.

..... but for how long remains to be seen!

This has now lead to speculation that the 6 effects thing isn't going to happen.

20. minion

minion

Yeah, I figured that was the case. Disappointing if its a no go, especially after the initial excitement :(

21. PauBass

PauBass

I'm very dissapointed too :(

Let's keep sending emails asking them for the update, if we all do it I'm sure they will think about it more seriously

info@zoom.co.jp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.