Zoom B3 Noise

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Andy_D, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Andy_D

Andy_D Supporting Member

I have a problem with my Zoom B3. It does not want to play well with the other effects on my pedal-board. I get a high pitched whine and clicking noises but only when connected with other effects. It is very quiet when used on it's own and all of the rest of my effects are dead quiet when used with each other.

I have a Joyo PS-2 so I should have clean power to the unit. I'd like to keep it in my pedal-board for the versatility. About the only way I can think to make this work would be to use a splitter which I really don't want to have to do.

Has any one else encountered this? If so what did you do to solve it. Is it solvable?
  2. jking138

jking138

Where in the chain are you putting it?
    Mine doesn't really like having too many pedals before it sometimes, but it has pretty much replaced my board apart from a Ibanez PhatHed and MXR M80 DI.
  3. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

one solution is to make sure that pedal is on active vs passive. On the back of the B3, there is a button that is active and passive. The manual states that the B3 needs to be on active if you place pedals in front of it.

Hope this helps!
  4. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Troubleshooting is a process of elimination. Change one, and only one, variable at a time until you find the cause.

1) Try using the Zoom supplied power supply. The Joyo isn't likely a truly isolated power supply like the Voodoo Power units.
    2) Make sure you don't have the Zoom plugged into USB. That's notorious for causing audio noise such as clicks and stuff.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Andy_D

Andy_D Supporting Member

Yes I have had it plugged in at the end of the chain. I'll try the active switch 1st and try putting it at the front of the chain to see if that makes a difference.

Yes I've noticed the USB noise as well. This noise is pretty much similar to the USB noise but I get it with the B3 unplugged from the USB.

Thanks for the responses, I'll post back if I find a solution that works.
  7. Andy_D

Andy_D Supporting Member

Tried moving it around the chain. middle front. I was actually quieter at the end of the chain and noisiest at the front. I don't know why all of my effects work well with each other except for the B3. I guss the next thing is perhaps to try the B3 with other effects one at a time and see if it's possible to isolate which effect(s) are incompatible. This is really kind of a big disapointment.
  8. aborg1

aborg1

I hope I didn't miss this, but a lot of times when adding these devices the type \ quality, capacitance of the cable is often overlooked. Just a suggestion.
  9. rootbill

rootbill

Although not a practical fix,but for the sake of troubleshooting;try plugging in everything as you did originally.Now disconnect B3 power supply & try battery power.
  10. jking138

jking138

Some of the amp sims can add noise, especially depending on the comp.