Zoom B3 or individual pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Texan, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

I'm in need of effects again and I'm not sure what to do. I have a nice overdrive and delay that I built, but I need a Phaser and an Envelope Filter. I was thinking about an MXR Phase 90 and an MXR M82. But, as always happens a Multi FX unit, the Zoom B3, catches my eye. I have no need for the modeling that that the B3 offers, I'm only interested in the effects. The price is the same for either both pedals or the B3.

Opinions Please...

2. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
  3. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

The Zoom B3 is a fantastic pedal - there is already a huge thread or two on it that may help you some. Regarding the modeling - that wasn't the main selling point for me either, but I sure do love some of the amp models after trying them. :) Pound for pound, one of the best bass gear purchases I've ever made. From time to time, I'll turn off my patches to do a quick A/B then quickly turn them back on - and smile knowing why I bought the B3. ;) Best of luck!

4. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wshines1892

wshines1892

Be careful what you wish for, I bought a B3 to supplement my board for one off sounds that I wanted and now I'm working on selling off the whole board to just use the B3. Great piece of gear for not a lot of money.

7. Texan

Is the B3 really THAT good? I'd love to hear more from other converts...I'm close to pulling the trigger, but no one near me carries these in stock.

8. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    I did, it´s a great piece of gear. Very powerfull if you know what you want. The amp sims are great. And it´s easy to set it up. I´m really pleased with it and this is from a guy that doesn´t like pedals.

9. wshines1892

wshines1892

I love it. Some people will gripe that if you A/B the models next to a real one it doesn't sound as good, and they'd be right if all you're doing is sitting at home and can be as loud and mix oblivious as you want.

However, in a live application, once you have to eq different from your ideal sound to fit the new room and you get mixed in with all of the other instruments, and make all of those sound compromises, you're really not going to hear all of those subtle nuances so much, and at least in my experience its certainty not enough to fork over $200 bones per pedal.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is objectively better than boutique pedals, if you're recording professionally or just have money burning a hole in your pocket then go ahead and buy the cork sniffer pedals, but I also don't think that people in the audience really care that much either.

10. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    And not only in a live situation but even mixed on a recording. This pedal is pretty well designed.

11. Texan

I'm not expecting the B3 to exactly mimic a boutique pedal, that an unrealistic expectation. I guess that my main reason for the indecision lies in the fact that I watched Ed Friedland review the MXR M82 in this video:

At the end he adds the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe and IMO the sound is really nice. I do realize that even if I bought those pedals, there is no way that I will get that exact sound...I'm not Ed, I don't have the same attack or 1/10th the skill. However, if i can get close to that sound with the B3, then I'm sold.

12. wshines1892

wshines1892

That's totally fair. The b3 has very high sound quality and on its own terms is a huge value for all purposes. I just don't want to say there's no distinguishable difference and start that fight. For my purposes though, I only wish it did 6 effects at once. I love multis now.

Also, in terms of the octave, the pitch shifters do a fine job to my ears, but the pedal like all gear takes time together to
    Know and really appreciate.

13. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

I recently sold my individual pedals I favor of the B3. I would say for me personally it works well. I currently only play in a cover band. I mainly use the modeling features to emulate the original song. I use effects sparingly and it seems to handle those requirements quite well. I guess if your playing style relies heavily on effects... You may want a spare for live shows. But it seems very durable.

14. Cycho

Cycho

To me the architecture of the Zoom B3 makes a lot more sense than an enormous pedal board. It's more reliable, cheaper, and more versatile. I can't say if the Zoom will give you the sounds you want but is the difference worth the trouble and expense? Not for me. When a better integrated pedal comes out you can just sell the Zoom and upgrade. The prices will only come down. I think integrated is the wave of the future.

15. hobbes1

hobbes1

bump for any recent opinions on using the B3 for effects only, into a bass amp. anyone else care to chime in?

16. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

17. Texan

I've grown to like the B3 quite a bit. I run it in front of my amp. It's very useable, the effects sound really good. I mainly use the Phaser, Envelope Filters, Octavers, and Sonic Maximizer effect live. The chorus effects are really nice and wet to my ears and the delays and OD/Fuzz/distortions/bassdriver/pre's are all close to the real thing. I love the modeling for recording direct, they are very close to the real thing. the the edit software is better and easier to use IMO than the Line 6 stuff. The Steinberg Sequel that it comes with is pretty nice too.

18. hobbes1

hobbes1

@Texan: so do you feel the filters are pretty solid? the big things i'm interested in are comp/mild OD/filter (think Mike Gordon/down with disease-ish) and some delays/chorus are good to have as is the ability to run it DI if my amp went down on a gig.
    Thanks

19. Texan

Hobbes,

I think that the B3 could nail the Down With Disease (I LOVE Phish) tone and effect.

20. hobbes1

hobbes1

good to know! Thanks!
    (I'm a big Phish fan as well!! :)

21. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    yeah,yeah, 6 week old thread...anyway.

I have both the B3 and the B2.1u - I generally use the B2.1. Very important with either of these pedals to get yourself a control pedal to switch on/off..I use a Yamaha keyboard sustain pedal as it has switch on bottom so you can have change whether up is on or off ($15-ish bucks). Nice things about the Zoom pedals - built-in tuner which is easy to see, drum machine/metronome, ability to tweak all the effects to large extent. The tweaking can be a bit frustrating to get the hang of but most of the effects are killer out of the box. And you can store YOUR tweaks in a separate bank without screwing up the factory pre-sets. If you occasionally play guitar they have a couple of killer distortion/fuzz effect. Beautiful chorusing effects in a few flavors,tremolo, decent auto-wah. Oh yeah, the DI can save your butt if your head goes down and your have anything else you can plug into - PA, power amp,etc.

Don't get the BX1 if you can afford the B2.1.....BX1 is too stripped down: no DI, no option for a control switch,30% smaller display.