Zoom B3 or something else?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ryanms3030, Mar 9, 2014.

1. ryanms3030

ryanms3030

I'm looking for something to use mainly for silent practice. I have been using a cheap $10 usb interface from china that I got on ebay. I currently use that with an amp simulator on my laptop. The device is 44k and has all the noise and hiss and hum you would expect for a super low budget usb interface.

I've been researching other options and would like to stay in the $200 or less range. The Zoom B3 seems like the best bang for my buck. I like the fact that has all the built in emulators, effects, drum machine, tuner and a 96k usb interface.

I am sure I will rarely if ever use effects and I will probably stick to 3-4 amp sounds at the most.

The must have for me is that I can get 2-4 different amp emulations, be able to plug headphones in and have line in so I can connect my phone or computer to play along with youtube videos etc. Having a built in usb interface is nice in case I want to do some recording but if I can find something for $100 or less that does everything other then interface I can live with that since I have the cheap usb interface and I can upgrade later as needed.

I was looking at Zoom MS60, B1 and B2 as cheaper options. Most of the other di boxes that seem highly recommended like SansAmp, Markbass or Eden are all the same price as B3 but seem to offer much less or the MicroBass which is twice as much

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Buy used. I paid $100 CDN for my B3 in box. The B3 can play music through it but only when connected via USB. I haven't actually used this feature so I do not know exactly how it works, there is no AUX in. You can run 2 amp simulators at a time, that is it; the B3 only has so much processing power. Some effects are usable, lots are totally gah-bage, especially the distortions.

3. ryanms3030

ryanms3030

Thanks. I have seen some used ones so that's an option. I did have a different Zoom pedal probably 8-10 years ago and I found that most of the effects were useless to me. They sounded like like bad synths and I mostly want some decent amp emulation that just sounds like I am playing through an amp

4. 5StringFool

5StringFool Supporting Member

One of the things I really dig about my Ampeg PF-350 is the aux in & headphone jacks. That way I can just use my head as a practice rig.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

The B3 is great, but I'm not sure that it is the best tool for you since there is no aux input. The Digitech BP355 is pretty decent and does have aux input in addition to USB streaming and computer editing. The amp sims are pretty decent if you don't add a lot of other effects. Other choices would be the korg pandora or Zoom's new pedal that should be releasing soon...it has an aux input.
    You could also just get a better interface for your computer/iPad and use one of the many apps available, without the hiss.

7. ryanms3030

ryanms3030

True. I may be over thinking it. Maybe a better usb interface is the way to go

8. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

For silent practice, both the B3 and the B2.1u are very good.

you can pick up either quite cheaply.

I still occcasionally use a B2.1u (I have a B3 and a G3, as well).

Having 4 small children, this is the ONLY way I practice at home and have been doing it this way for at least 5 years.

Aux input is not an issue, because I use the USB connection to a computer or laptop to get my recorded audio... works GREAT

9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Do you have an iPhone or iPad? Just grab an Apogee Jam and download Jamup XT. It will do everything you're looking for and sound great while doing it. It along with my iPhone are my main practice tools.