1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

ZOOM B3 plus stomp boxes

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by xkomo, Jan 9, 2013.

1. xkomo

xkomo

Hey, I recently bought a zoom b3 multi effect. Before that I owned a line 6 bass pod xt pro (witch was fine) but I always liked the idea to control my effects via foot. I also own a boss ceb 3 and an ebs octabass. Now I am thinking to make an ''integrated'' pedal board with my b3 and some stompboxes.

Do you think a combination like that would work?
    Which extra effects could I get for my pedal board? I want you to tell me which effects would work better in stomp box version than in multieffect version
  2. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Well I don't have a B3, but I do have a B2 and other pedals. It works just fine, and in fact, the B3 is designed to do exactly what you want. I'd say that as far as other pedals---that's a very personal thing. For me, the synths and delays would hardly ever get used on a B3, so I'd be more inclined to get individual pedals of something that I'd use a lot. Try your B3 out, and whatever you don't like about it--that's where I'd look to supplement.
  3. alexer47

alexer47

I have an interesting question if any one could be appreciated. I have the Hartke preamp, Zoom B3, Morley wah and EHX Bassballs. In what order would you place these. Not noticing any difference no matter what order I chain them in.
  4. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I have a few drive boxes running into my Zoom B3, all mounted to a Pedaltrain, then into my SVT stack. I mostly use the B3 for modulation, delay, and tuner right now. Check my page (sig below) for sound samples and patches you can freely download.
  5. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B

I have the B3 with the following pedals in front; overdrive\distortion, tuner and EBS Mulitcomp and never had a problem, I really don't care for any of the distortions or fuzzes in the B3.
  6. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

I run all but three of my pedals into the B3. I use the the B3 for synths, delays, filters and general weirdness and run a chorus,delay and looper after it. I have an OC-2, four fuzz pedals and a Boss PS-6 before it. I like the B3 more every time I use it. It sounds great the way I have it set up. OC-2 into the V-synth sounds awesome.
  7. Testing123

Testing123 Supporting Member

Diaboliclow B, why are you using a tuner (in front of the B3)? Doesn't the one in the B3 work well, or is there a problem getting to and using it live?
    Thanks...
  8. willsellout

willsellout

I prefer my Turbo tuner to the B3's.
  9. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator Supporting Member

Multi-Effect tuners IMO are blah. Nothing beats a good ol TU-2. Also works good as a killswitch/mute.
  10. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

Folks have a tendency to like what they know... the tuner on the B3 is pretty good, but I prefer using the tuner on my B2.1u, as this is what I’m used to...the tuner on both the B3 and the B2 series coincide with the bypass and mute functions...

I am currently running my bass into my B3, then the left channel of the B3 goes to the A channel on an A/B/A+B switch box. The right channel of the B3 goes into my B2.1u, which then goes to the B side of the A/B/A+B.

This way I can run... Just B3 (A channel), B3 into B2.1u (B channel), B3 and B3+B2.1u (A+B channel), just B2 (B channel, with B3 in bypass)...

I have used the B2.1u in the past with other stompboxes without any issues at all.
  11. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B

I use a Turbo Tuner which I greatly prefer to the B3's, I mean it works fine but I find it a bit cumbersome to use and not as quick as the Turbo.
  12. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Picture is worth a thousand words. Signal chain goes from Pork Loin, through the rest of the individual pedals, up to the B3. I use the FS-5U as a master bypass for the B3, and to engage the tuner. Great thing about the B3 is it can power off one of the 250ma 9V drops from the Pedal Power 2. TC Helicon is separate for vocals.

Attached Files:

13. willsellout

willsellout

14. Testing123

Testing123 Supporting Member

+1 - Yeah, I love my Turbo Tuner also and since I don't gig my B3 (at this point, just using it for practice/experimentation), the Turbo Tuner gets the call.
  15. xkomo

xkomo

I read that multi effects are not that good on distortion and envelope effects.. I have no experience with that kind of effects... Do you think that those effects are emulated fine in B3? I am asking because I am thinking to buy chorus and delay stomp boxes and combine them with B3, so I can use B3 for distortion and wah and amp emulator...
  16. Swift713

Swift713

I think the B3 has some fine chorus and filters, very nice delay, and decent overdrive via the amp models. Unless you have specific pedals that you prefer to the B3 it can cover all those duties quite well, IMO
  17. xkomo

xkomo

I am thinking to buy an EBS metaldrive, an MXR bass chorus, a BassIQ and use the B3 as a delay, reverb and amp simulator...