1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Zoom B3 Rush Tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by J03YW, Jan 1, 2014.

1. J03YW

J03YW

Hey, I'm trying for Geddy's Time Machine/Clockwork Angels tour live tones, and even with the Sansamp and Avalon sims on I can't seem to get that 800hz growl that he is getting from his Orange AD200Bs. I like only using 2 effects on my Rush tones so I can have chorus or phaser available when they're used in a song, or just a reverb. My current patches go like this:

BassDrive: Bass 5 Treble 5 Prese 4 Gain 71 Blend 54 Level 27 Mid 5

DI5: Gain 58 Tone 4 Level 100 HiCut Off

Slot for chorus/reverb/phaser/octave

The mid knob on the Bass Driver sim just doesn't cut it for me, and I like the sound of the Bassman sim with 800hz cranked & a low gain tube screamer in front of it, but I can't seem to get the sansamp & Bassman to play nice in the same patch, which is exactly how Geddy gets his tone (Sansamp on high end, Orange on lows/mids). If anyone can help me get them crazy nice mids while retaining that Sansamp tone, I'd love it. Thanks.

2. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

What bass and strings are you running?

Getting Geddy's tone is very difficult. His tone comes from his hands. I know you don't want to hear that but it's true.

3. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Just a guess but, some/more compression may help. Are you trying to get recorded tone or live at gigs?

4. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Geddy uses the Sansamp RPM preamp (among his other stuff) and that is different than the run of the mill "Sansamp models" in alot of devices (I have a RPM). The models are usually pretty scooped sounding like the original Sansamp IMO. I think you can get there better with EQ and some overdrive.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. J03YW

J03YW

I have a Geddy Lee signature Jazz bass with Ernie Ball slinkies on it and waiting for Rotosound SM66s in the mail, I've totally knocked off Geddy's technique though (the one finger tugging, not flamenco which I'm not a huge fan of). I just need more bass/mids from the sansamp. I'm going for his Time Machine tone, like the videos that were taken from Cleveland. I've approximated that tone pretty well though with a dynacomp, tube screamer and bassman sim. Still wish I had room for chorus though :/