Zoom - B3 vs. B1on

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Big Benner, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Big Benner

Big Benner

Hi TB,

Just viewing a lot of the info regarding the Zoom B3 (thank you Charlie C.) and it looks fantastic but there's one item that it's missing that is important to me - an AUX in for jamming along to CD's via headphones.

Judging from all of the comments for the B3, it looks to be super professional and sound great.

My Question is: would the B1on sound similar?

I'll be using this for a Top 40 cover band that I play in (along with my original Alt Rock band) with a EBMM Sting Ray 5 into a Markbass 102P combo amp.

I've had the BOSS ME-50B for years, love it but need a change and love the fact that I can take it on the road and jam along to an iPod learning tunes in my hotel room using head phones.

Thanks,

Ben
  2. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Yes, it will sound similar if not the same, and it will share many of the same effects. I believe the B1on will be much less cash because of feature set and form factor, not because of sound. I have a MS-60b and plan on getting one of these when they become available in the States.
  3. theLimeyBrit

theLimeyBrit Used Register Supporting Member

It's not quite as convenient as just plugging your iPod into an Aux-in, but you can plug the B3 into your laptop via USB and set it as the laptop's sound output. You can then plug headphones into the B3 and play along with whatever's playing on the laptop.
  4. Big Benner

Big Benner

Has anyone been able to compare the B3 against the B1on?
  5. psychobot

psychobot

I got a B1on and started playing with it this weekend. The FX tone seems the same as the B3, but the B1on might be a touch more noisy than the B3. I actually don't have a B3 anymore, but I did have one previously so I'm going off memory.

There are 5 FX slots with the B1on and an aux/MP3 input (better than B3), but no USB audio, XLR out, or active/passive switch (missing from B3).

I see that Zoom has recently clarified why the B3 can't do 6 FX at a time like the Zoom G3, but if the B3 could be updated to do 4 or 5 FX at a time I think I would choose it over the B1on, mainly because of the USB audio capabilities.

But 5 FX at a time for $50? This thing is really a steal.